Traffic Lights

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Any one running in a system that has the squads/traffic lights set to change for squads?

I volunteered for the union's safety comittee and want to bring the idea up. It'll probably be a non-starter to do the entire city but at least suggesting intersections approaching our hospitals, congested/high traffic areas and intersections that have a high collision rate.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Our system uses the opticom system. A special infrared light flashes at a specific frequency to change traffic lights to green in our direction of travel. This system also requires a receiver to be placed on every direction of travel at every intersection.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
We use an opticom system as well. The county highway district hates that we have them. They are helpful but you still have to be diligent.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Our system uses the opticom system. A special infrared light flashes at a specific frequency to change traffic lights to green in our direction of travel. This system also requires a receiver to be placed on every direction of travel at every intersection.

Have you found it worth it?

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
A company I used to work at had the opticom system. Originally the strobe system, then the infared one. The infared one works better. I did find it helpful. It was against company policy to oppose traffic, and the opticoms kept our lanes open.

However not all intersections had them, so sometimes we got stuck at reds. The opticoms were only installed on intersections on the city bus route. The city made a deal with the bus company to help pay for the system, and in turn the buses could use the system too, if they fell behind schedule.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I have found them to be very helpful.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Have you found it worth it?

Works pretty good for the most part. There are those "troublesome" lights in the valley to where you can be in the crosswalk and its still red. Traffic is another consideration where we're at too. I hate it when I go opposing just to have the light change green when I'm at the intersection... damn dividers...

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Works pretty good for the most part. There are those "troublesome" lights in the valley to where you can be in the crosswalk and its still red. Traffic is another consideration where we're at too. I hate it when I go opposing just to have the light change green when I'm at the intersection... damn dividers...

We have one street leading into one of our Level 1s that's a divided boulevard. Also on campus of a college so it can get pretty bad at certain hours.

CALEMT

We have one street leading into one of our Level 1s that's a divided boulevard. Also on campus of a college so it can get pretty bad at certain hours.

The range on them is pretty decent in my experience so even if traffic is backed up a ways at a intersection you'll more than likely change it.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
The range on them is pretty decent in my experience so even if traffic is backed up a ways at a intersection you'll more than likely change it.
Agreed. You can easily "out run" them if you fly up to an intersection at 70mph, but if you slow early it'll be green prior to you getting there.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Agreed. You can easily "out run" them if you fly up to an intersection at 70mph, but if you slow early it'll be green prior to you getting there.

:D

Per division policy we can't exceed the speed limit. Even when we have lights going...

CALEMT

While I won't confirm nor deny when I was an EMT I flew on surface streets, however I can confirm that you can easily outrun them. 10 over which is company policy works good with our opticoms.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Opticoms are awesome: however they are expensive to install on EVERY traffic light in you coverage area (district, city, county, etc), need to be maintained, as does the equipment on your trucks.

That all being said, they are much safer than pushing vehicles into an intersection, onto the grassy median, or onto the sidewalk (see it done), and help prevent people form jamming on their breaks when they hear an vehicle behind them.

From a safety point of view, having them on every light makes your responses much efficient and safer; the only downsides is cost and you can't use them on areas that don't have the sensors installed.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Opticoms are awesome: however they are expensive to install on EVERY traffic light in you coverage area (district, city, county, etc), need to be maintained, as does the equipment on your trucks.

That all being said, they are much safer than pushing vehicles into an intersection, onto the grassy median, or onto the sidewalk (see it done), and help prevent people form jamming on their breaks when they hear an vehicle behind them.

From a safety point of view, having them on every light makes your responses much efficient and safer; the only downsides is cost and you can't use them on areas that don't have the sensors installed.

Other than manufacturer literature, are there any reports/studies that show response times, safety etc with and without?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Other than manufacturer literature, are there any reports/studies that show response times, safety etc with and without?
Probably not considering there is only a few studies of lights and sirens vs no lights or sirens.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Probably not considering there is only a few studies of lights and sirens vs no lights or sirens.
And then you'd have to control for traffic, population density, time of day... Etc.

But anecdotally, it works well.

The large critical care truck (quad cab Freightliner)I used to drive has it wired independently of the emergency lights. So if we had a patient that was not lights and sirens emergent, but needed quick transport, I'd use it. It felt as fast as lights and sirens, but WAY smoother and safer. My medic once requested I do it that way for a patient who was having some sort of cardiac episode and he didn't want to further aggrevate the condition.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The city of Colorado Springs custom built an Automatic Vehicle Locating system that was tied into the CAD, GIS, and traffic operations center. When a call is received in the MDC, a route is plotted automatically to the call location. Based upon the apparatus position, the AVL can "change" the lights through the interface with traffic operations.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
The city of Colorado Springs custom built an Automatic Vehicle Locating system that was tied into the CAD, GIS, and traffic operations center. When a call is received in the MDC, a route is plotted automatically to the call location. Based upon the apparatus position, the AVL can "change" the lights through the interface with traffic operations.
That's pretty sweet. Ventura City FD (CA) has a GPS based traffic preemption device. Don't know if it's the same system.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That's pretty sweet. Ventura City FD (CA) has a GPS based traffic preemption device. Don't know if it's the same system.

To my knowledge city engineers built it. It is apparently very hard to maintain as well.

Reactions: NPO

CALEMT

That sounds cool and all, but sounds like a pain in the *** to maintain.