The FEMA graveyard?

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
When AMR took over our operation we heard many stories of the FEMA ambulance graveyard and how our rigs were destined for it. Much like when all the bombers came back from WWII, I imagine a giant lot filled with ambulances of different livery just rotting in the sun.

Does this place actually exist and where is it?

I’ve seen our old rigs with AmR stickers slapped on them in pictures at FEMA responses. Part of me wants to go there and see if I can track down my old rig.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It does exist. If I recall correctly it is in Georgia. I believe @exodus has been there on a recent deployment.

When I got deployed we were given ambulances that were just decommissioned from system use and were being sent to the Georgia warehouse.

There are ambulance from all over the country. They mostly still have the stickers on the side that say “proudly serving X county/city/area”. They are mostly vans.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yes. When they stand up new operations, a lot of times they pull from the FEMA fleet yard. I know when I was in the first batch for ABQ, NM AMR, all of our units came from the FEMA fleet except one that came from River Medical that they watned to get rid of.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think there is more than one FEMA boneyard, there is one in Georgia for sure.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
When AMR took over our operation we heard many stories of the FEMA ambulance graveyard and how our rigs were destined for it. Much like when all the bombers came back from WWII, I imagine a giant lot filled with ambulances of different livery just rotting in the sun.

Does this place actually exist and where is it?

I’ve seen our old rigs with AmR stickers slapped on them in pictures at FEMA responses. Part of me wants to go there and see if I can track down my old rig.

They exist. There's two of them and I've been to both. One is in Arlington, Tx, the other is in Stone Mountain, Ga. My first deployment, I was actually in one of the rigs that I used when I worked for Pacific in San Diego.

OP
OP
Mufasa556

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
The rumors are true! That’s kind of cool. I like to think my rig is there and not some mobile pet grooming van.

Most of our Pacific OC rigs went straight to a local auction yard. What good ones we had had already been pilfered by Bowers. I’m sure those are the ones that ended up in the graveyard.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
There is one in Phoenix also. We had to travel to Phoenix AMR for our DRT deployment to get the rigs and convoy them to Texas.
Fun times.