The biggest advancements in EMS in the past decade...

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Every time I interact with EMS I can't help but feel as though the profession in many ways isn't too different than it was portrayed in Mother, Juggs, and Speed.

What are some of the biggest innovations in EMS in the past 10 years?

Powered stretchers?
i-gel airways?
Advanced Practice Paramedicine?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Depends on the perspective.

From a clinical standpoint, I'm going to go with the widespread introduction of NIPPV/CPAP. It's a literal lifesaver. If you go to 20 years, field 12-leads, but in the last ten, NIPPV.

From a safety standpoint, the demise of the E-series. 21st century chassis are way safer, and the ambulances built on them are better in every possible way.

From an ergonomics standpoint, the PowerPro cot and Powerload systems. Those are knocking back injuries way, way way down.

From an operational standpoint, the adoption of electronic records as standard. Granted, we all hate typing, but integrated documentation helps to put us in the clinical world and can open a lot of information up to our stakeholders and patient care teams.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Video Laryngoscopy and Pre-Hospital Blood Products.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
If this were analogous to, say, the "Time Person of the Year," where the winner isn't necessarily a positive force, but rather a famous person with a big impact, I'd nominate community paramedicine.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
From a safety standpoint, the demise of the E-series. 21st century chassis are way safer, and the ambulances built on them are better in every possible way. .

I hear of this often but I cannot not find an end date to when they will stop making the cutaway chassis.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
As far as stuff that probably improves outcomes, vs making us feel good about what cool toys we have--probably widespread CPAP and EtCO2. More widespread use of I-gels/SGAs instead of intubating is probably also good.

Even with video scopes the evidence base for (non-HEMS) prehospital intubation is somewhat grim, and POCUS as a diagnostic tool is probably not a big game changer for most EMS systems (if you're doing a FAST, you should be taking them to a trauma center anyway--where the FAST will be repeated, for example).

I think the next big thing (which hasn't happened yet) is going to be improvements in trauma care, since currently there's a lot of debate on how helpful ALS actually is for trauma. Hopefully things like TXA and prehospital plasma/blood products will continue to show promise.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the changes in ACLS/out of hospital cardiac arrest care. Things like remaining on scene to do CPR, focus on pit crew CPR vs IV meds and airway, that kind of thing.

Last edited:

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
CPAP, mechanical compressions, waveform cap, VL, and EGDT slowing spilling over into EMS.

Oh, and by and large we’re pitching the backboards in the bin.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Nightwatch, JEMS magazine, and traffic vests for everyone at MVAs except for PD

oh wait.....

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Self loading stretchers increase both patient and provider safety, which few other devices can boast.