ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Adulting.
Not necessarily.
index(6).jpg

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Spoke to my PCP and she said the best thing would be to get COVID-19 tested before I go back to work. That'll be fun. I know what I have to look forward to because I got my brain poked for a recent hospital admission.

Seirende

This isolation is tough on my mental health.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I love how it goes from sunny in the high 90’s to absolutely pouring rain in the 50’s.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Definitely medic grade shears at that price
Sign up for a leatherman pro account and buy them for half. Theyre worth it, mine are 6 years old and cut like the day I bought them, though I quit carrying them a few months ago.

Also, I'd like to use this opportunity to point out (again) that it is still ridiculous that someone put a seat belt cutter on a pair of scissors.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Sign up for a leatherman pro account and buy them for half. Theyre worth it, mine are 6 years old and cut like the day I bought them, though I quit carrying them a few months ago.

Also, I'd like to use this opportunity to point out (again) that it is still ridiculous that someone put a seat belt cutter on a pair of scissors.

I have a pair. My bf and I swap shears so we carry the other's shears. At first it was a sleight of hand joke between partners that turned out to be gut splitting hilarious due to the aftermath, but then neither of us wanted to give each others back.

I have the pro. Leatherman TYMFS.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm debating a new stethoscope. The diaphragm on the small bell of my cardiology 3 has always fallen off every 6 months or so. Really tired of replacing them. Thinking of going to a master cardiology, but I only ever use a scope for lung sounds these days (mostly just verifying tube placement).

I may just blow the just off my master classic and roll with it.

Last edited:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
So if you’re a veteran and have a diagnosis of tinnitus with disability, the VA will give you an electronic Littman stethoscope if you tell them you have trouble hearing lung sounds and it affects your occupation.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I got the cardiology IV, but I intermittently listen to heart sounds ever since there was a post made on it here. I took a break for awhile after I lost my last stethoscope, but recently bought that cardiology IV and decided why not. I am somewhat bummed because I at the frequency I listen to heart sounds, I still don't hear any murmurs, and I am wondering if I am missing them. I heard clicks once, but at the hospital, I asked a doctor to listen to it and then it sounded normal! She thought I heard bowel sounds and I was like no... it was definitely clicking.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I got the cardiology IV, but I intermittently listen to heart sounds ever since there was a post made on it here. I took a break for awhile after I lost my last stethoscope, but recently bought that cardiology IV and decided why not. I am somewhat bummed because I at the frequency I listen to heart sounds, I still don't hear any murmurs, and I am wondering if I am missing them. I heard clicks once, but at the hospital, I asked a doctor to listen to it and then it sounded normal! She thought I heard bowel sounds and I was like no... it was definitely clicking.

The ability to quickly auscultate heart sounds is all a matter of practice; most adult murmurs/clicks/rubs are far more subtle than most realize.

Within the past week I found a 2/6 murmur that was missed by the entire care team including the adult intensivist. The patient had a good bit of MVR on echo and will probably need a replacement in the next couple of months.

Generally speaking I prefer and recommend a heavy true open bell. Low frequency hearttones are almost impossible to appreciate otherwise.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Within the past week I found a 2/6 murmur that was missed by the entire care team including the adult intensivist. The patient had a good bit of MVR on echo and will probably need a replacement in the next couple of months.

But realistically did they even listen to the heart sounds? I don't even regularly carry a stethoscope anymore and utilize the disposable ones as needed.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
But realistically did they even listen to the heart sounds? I don't even regularly carry a stethoscope anymore and utilize the disposable ones as needed.

I can’t say for certain, but I assume so. We leave a stethoscope in each of our critical care patient rooms and I think they are classic II so it’s not like I had a nice high end set of ears or anything.

Seirende

Second time getting COVID-19 tested wasn't as unpleasant as the first time. The technician was much more gentle.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Does anyone else totally jazz up ramen? I added chicken, an egg, hot sauce, butter, garlic, red pepper flakes, scallions and shiitake mushrooms. Best lunch ever. (It makes me feel cultured if I eat with chopsticks)
67B9D275-34F2-4512-8B0A-CBA93625B2EB.jpeg

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Does anyone else totally jazz up ramen? I added chicken, an egg, hot sauce, butter, garlic, red pepper flakes, scallions and shiitake mushrooms. Best lunch ever. (It makes me feel cultured if I eat with chopsticks)
View attachment 5074
Most I do is drain the water then add spaghetti sauce. Gives me something different to eat in the truck once in a while.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I had a partner that would take hot water and add the EMS room ketchup packets to make "tomato soup.". He would also take saltines, cheese, and ketchup and call it lasagna.