Thank you, Ryan F (an EMT-B from chicago-area)

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
Okay, so, a few days ago my partner and I were bringing out ambulance back to the station, we got a flat tired, and were then robbed at gunpoint. The gunman got away with nearly all my belongings, including my wallet.

Just a few minutes ago, I got a package in the mail from an area I didn't recongize Inside was a letter that said: from on EMT to another, I feel your pain. This is my good karma points for the month. I don't know what was in it, but it was empty when I found it.P ay it forward..." and a photo copy of an EMT-B license from a Ryan F.

Ryan, I don't know if you ever come on here, but I want to extend my gratitude. He did pull all my credit cards and debit cards out of it, as well as the cash I had, but he left my DL and medic licenses in it. The cash was not a big deal, and the cards already have been stopped (were stopped a few minutes after the robbery), but that you took the time to mail this back to me means a lot to me, and I am glad there is the brotherhood among us. And I will pay it forward.

If anyone knows a EMT-B named Ryan F from chicago (I know his full last name, but will not post it in a public thread) tell him that the paramedic who's wallet he returned is very thankful. That was awesome of him.

If people are interested in the story of the robbery, I'll type it out. But I just hope that somehow my thanks meet this man. he is a gentleman and a scholar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
Wow thats awesome.

Very nice nice story. Im glad you werent hurt during the robbery.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Wow, you're lucky to be telling us!

Wow thats awesome.

No kidding!

Did they just want your possessions? Take any stuff from the ambo, i.e. narcs?

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
okay, so, a few days ago my partner and i were bringing out ambulance back to the station, we got a flat tired, and were then robbed at gunpoint. The gunman got away with nearly all my belongings, including my wallet.

Just a few minutes ago, i got a package in the mail from an area i didn't recongize inside was a letter that said: From on emt to another, i feel your pain. This is my good karma points for the month. I don't know what was in it, but it was empty when i found it.p ay it forward..." and a photo copy of an emt-b license from a ryan f.

Ryan, i don't know if you ever come on here, but i want to extend my gratitude. He did pull all my credit cards and debit cards out of it, as well as the cash i had, but he left my dl and medic licenses in it. The cash was not a big deal, and the cards already have been stopped (were stopped a few minutes after the robbery), but that you took the time to mail this back to me means a lot to me, and i am glad there is the brotherhood among us. And i will pay it forward.

If anyone knows a emt-b named ryan f from chicago (i know his full last name, but will not post it in a public thread) tell him that the paramedic who's wallet he returned is very thankful. That was awesome of him.

If people are interested in the story of the robbery, i'll type it out. But i just hope that somehow my thanks meet this man. He is a gentleman and a scholar.

+1000000000000000

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
that's awesome. around here just replacing all the certs would be about $100 and lots of annoying paperwork.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Just wondering...

First off I'm happy you got through this okay and this is simply something that no medic should have to experience. A pox on this schmuck!

But could there be a Sensitivity School for Crooks?

You know, maybe in jail somewhere these guys actually talk about the ethics of Crookery. Do you think this guy remembered a conversation where one of his tier mates said, "I always leave them the stuff that's hard to replace."

I mean, that sounded almost like a CONSCIOUS decision on his part. Respect and thoughtfulness are things not usually associated with his ilk.

OP
OP
T

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
Wow thats awesome.

Yeah, me too. Had it not been my partner, I would have died. He LITERALLY saved my life. Not the "ZOMG, you pick up my shift, you saved my life". The thug had the gun pressed to my back when my partner wrestled him to the ground for it...

No kidding!

Did they just want your possessions? Take any stuff from the ambo, i.e. narcs?

He didn’t even ask for it. (And, from his vantage point, he could have seen the narcs.) Didn’t ask for a single thing in the ambo. All he was interested in was what was in our pockets. (And our IDs, for some reason.) My guess? He didn’t know the first thing ABOUT ambulances and, thus, didn’t know about the narcs.

Despicable that people rob ambulances. I dont think many crooks here would stoop that low.

Yeah, I didn’t either. And when he first pulled the gun to my chest I didn’t even know what to think.

that's awesome. around here just replacing all the certs would be about $100 and lots of annoying paperwork.

I didn’t know what to expect, but it was awesome that the lawn this thug happened to throw my—for the most part—empty wallet on was a fellow EMT, and was able to send to me. I wasn’t looking forward to my getting all my certs back. (Both state and national, ACLS, PALS, ITLS…etc)

First off I'm happy you got through this okay and this is simply something that no medic should have to experience. A pox on this schmuck!

But could there be a Sensitivity School for Crooks?

You know, maybe in jail somewhere these guys actually talk about the ethics of Crookery. Do you think this guy remembered a conversation where one of his tier mates said, "I always leave them the stuff that's hard to replace."

I mean, that sounded almost like a CONSCIOUS decision on his part. Respect and thoughtfulness are things not usually associated with his ilk.

As comforting as that might be, I somehow doubt it.

The way it all went down, my partner wrestled the gun from him, and as the thug was running away, my partner had his own loaded 357 magnum facing him. And I nearly came at him to hit him with the ambulance. HE was running for HIS life at the end.

The front of my wallet had all the stuff missing from it. But the back pockets didn’t. Almost as if he didn’t even look back there. (So my credit card I nearly never use was still there, as well as membership cards to places like the grocery store I go to, blockbuster, etc.) The letter also said the guy found it on his lawn. My guess? While we was running from us, he just emptied what he could on the go (money and front pockets) and tossed it, not thinking. He definitely wasn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer…

Anjel

Forum Angel

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
RyanF is a good man. I am so sorry you got robbed at gunpoint. That happened to me in August 2010. The guy pointed a gun at my head and stole my car. Scariest moment of my life.

A suggestion: Renter's insurance (if you don't own a house). It covers you and your possessions outside of the home. They covered all my personal possessions in my car, like my tools, scanners (OBD II scanners, not radio scanners) and other gizmoz. Car insurance only covers the car, not your possessions. They might cover the cost of getting reprints of stuff. $12 a month, so it's pretty cheap.

saskvolunteer

Forum Lieutenant
Ok sask lets here what you have to say

Just that she's talking about her partner pulling a 357 Magnum and then she hops in the truck and barrels down on him? Not that I doubt the legitimacy of the story, there just seems to be about 3 tons of grandiosity tossed in there as well.

---
- Sent from my pencil and paper.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Can you post a news link to this?

Glad to see medics carrying.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Just that she's talking about her partner pulling a 357 Magnum and then she hops in the truck and barrels down on him? Not that I doubt the legitimacy of the story, there just seems to be about 3 tons of grandiosity tossed in there as well.

---
Especially in Chicago, and Illinois in general, where there are no concealed carry permits issued - unless the OP is referring to her partner pointing the criminal's own gun back at him.

Last edited by a moderator:

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Can you post a news link to this?

Glad to see medics carrying.

I looked everywhere but couldn't find it but that doesn't mean anything. Some things never make the news.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
ffemt8978 hit it on the head. IL is the *only* state in the Union not to allow for open or concealed carry outside your home. This is currently being challenged in federal court, but that will take a few years to play out.

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Especially in Chicago, and Illinois in general, where there are no concealed carry permits issued - unless the OP is referring to her partner pointing the criminal's own gun back at him.

I *think* the OP meant her partner was pointing the criminals gun at him...

---
- This post brought to you by Tapatalk

saskvolunteer

Forum Lieutenant
I *think* the OP meant her partner was pointing the criminals gun at him...

---
- This post brought to you by Tapatalk

Doubting it. OP specifically referenced her partners *own* weapon. Hence my doubt.

---