Thank you everyone

EMTRyan88

Forum Probie
I just wanted to give a big thank you to everyone on this board. Im a brand new EMT that just started with my company and have yet to even do my first shift of 3rd rider time. Naturally im very nervous and to prepare I have just been reading these boards non stop. I have found many things very helpful and am prepared to look stupid lol. Thank you everyone, once again.

Indy

Forum Crew Member
Congratulations Ryan, best of luck to you in your future. Godspeed.

OP
OP
EMTRyan88

EMTRyan88

Forum Probie
Thank you. First day of 3rd Rider time starts tomorrow from 7AM to 11 PM should be fun lol.

OP
OP
EMTRyan88

EMTRyan88

Forum Probie
I surprisingly didnt do anything stupid...I think. Just got done on my first day, 16 hour shift. We did a total of 5 calls, 3 911 and 2 transports (1 was a triage from ALS) Nothing really crazy going on, they were all pretty tame and I was teching on the last Pt. Although there wasnt much I could do besides talk to him since he refused vitals and didnt want to give us any specific info.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
Good luck buddy. Don't be afraid to get messy and ask questions. Throw away your school book. You won't need it anymore. ;)

CodyHolt83

Forum Lieutenant
Nice! Congrats! For my 27th birthday, I'm going to give myself spare time to fill out applications now that I am finally certified as of December 14th! lol I too am ready to look stupid! lol:rolleyes:

OP
OP
EMTRyan88

EMTRyan88

Forum Probie
Good luck buddy. Don't be afraid to get messy and ask questions. Throw away your school book. You won't need it anymore. ;)

Yeah im hanging onto the field guide though. The class definately helped but there are several things at the basic level that my company allows me to do, that other companies do not. Nasal Narcan, Glucometer readings and pretty soon King intubation. So I wasnt prepared for that.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah im hanging onto the field guide though. The class definately helped but there are several things at the basic level that my company allows me to do, that other companies do not. Nasal Narcan, Glucometer readings and pretty soon King intubation. So I wasnt prepared for that.

Paramedics around here generally stick to King airways too, and basics can use them so they are the standard airway unless there are complications requiring intubation. Its a good skill to have if you're working a code and need to get a secure airway while the medic is pushing meds and the firefighters/emts are doing compressions.