Testing on Saturday, words of wisdom?

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
Alright, so, I'm sitting for my Basic exam on Saturday. I'm currently brushing up (read: frantically re-reading all my textbooks) on a little bit of everything. Anyone have any pearls for me? I know I can sit for it again and again in need be, but it would be a rather nice Christmas present to myself if I passed the first whack at it. :) I've been taking the practice exams, and quizzes on emt achieve and I'm passing on those, has anyone compared the exams on the website to the legit exam? Oh, and what is considered "passing" on the National? 70%?
Thanks, and Happy Holidays,
Rosa

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
My advice to you is to stop reading, if you don't know it by now, you won't learn it in the next week. All the re-reading will do is stress you out. Relax, take some time for yourself, and remember that the NREMT in and of itself is not hard, it's the stress that kills people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medic417

The Truth Provider
Pass.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I actually disagree with fast65. I'd suggest:

1. Spending the week reviewing material. Books, notes, and computer programs are helpful.
2. Stop studying the night before the exam, and go to bed early. No cramming from this point forward.
3. Wake up and have a healthy breakfast
4. Arrive to the test site early prepared to take the test.

Good luck!

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I actually disagree with fast65. I'd suggest:

1. Spending the week reviewing material. Books, notes, and computer programs are helpful.
2. Stop studying the night before the exam, and go to bed early. No cramming from this point forward.
3. Wake up and have a healthy breakfast
4. Arrive to the test site early prepared to take the test.

Good luck!

Eh, I suppose I can see the benefit of reviewing some notes and such, but I wouldn't go as far as to re-read the books, especially not "frantically". However, I will agree that at the bare minimum, you shouldn't be trying to cram the day before.

OP
OP
ARose

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
Awesome advice everyone, thanks so much. I should really just calm down and chill out on the cramming. If I pass, awesome, if I don't I can always sit for it again.

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
Just remember your abc's, and go with your gut, don't second guess yourself, ,your training and instructIon will take over.

emscrazy1

Forum Lieutenant
I took all of the test on EMT achieve and the subjects that I scored low on were the chapters I would go back over. I had to reread the obgyn chapter and look over the peds chapter and that was about it. Don't stress it.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
My advice to you is to stop reading, if you don't know it by now, you won't learn it in the next week. All the re-reading will do is stress you out. Relax, take some time for yourself, and remember that the NREMT in and of itself is not hard, it's the stress that kills people.

I disagree. It's a EMT exam not the MCAT. A week is loads of time to get your information down. I waited 8 months after I took the course to test out and only studied 1 day. I got a good bit out of that single day and was able to pass with 71 questions my first go around.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I disagree. It's a EMT exam not the MCAT. A week is loads of time to get your information down. I waited 8 months after I took the course to test out and only studied 1 day. I got a good bit out of that single day and was able to pass with 71 questions my first go around.

So because it's an EMT exam that's a reason to cram info that should already be known a week before? Just because it's not a difficult test, doesn't mean it's ok to cram info for it...well maybe if you want to treat your patients out of a cookbook, then it's alright.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
So because it's an EMT exam that's a reason to cram info that should already be known a week before? Just because it's not a difficult test, doesn't mean it's ok to cram info for it...well maybe if you want to treat your patients out of a cookbook, then it's alright.

That's not where I was going with my comment. I was just speaking from a test-taking standpoint.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh, and what is considered "passing" on the National? 70%?
Rosa
If you are sitting for the NREMT exam then there is no 70%, 80%, 90% to pass. There are only two results, pass or fail. It is an adaptive test and will cut you off when it has figured out if a) you know enough to pass or b) you know so little you ain't gonna pass. Good luck (as others have said, its not that hard a test, just don't freak out about it)

OP
OP
ARose

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks all for your advice!
I've stopped cramming. I'm paying attention to the areas of my weakness but I'm not going to stress it. I'll let you all know how it goes. If I pass, awesome, if I fail, I'll take some time, and go at it again. From what my friends and family say, it's not a hard test-unless you make it. Thanks again everyone.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Alright, so, I'm sitting for my Basic exam on Saturday. I'm currently brushing up (read: frantically re-reading all my textbooks) on a little bit of everything. Anyone have any pearls for me? I know I can sit for it again and again in need be, but it would be a rather nice Christmas present to myself if I passed the first whack at it. :) I've been taking the practice exams, and quizzes on emt achieve and I'm passing on those, has anyone compared the exams on the website to the legit exam? Oh, and what is considered "passing" on the National? 70%?
Rosa

Advice?

Drink after the exam, not before. :)

just be calm.

medic417

The Truth Provider
OP
OP
ARose

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
Seems like all I needed to to was remove my head from my...you know.
Thank ye for such words of wisdom ;)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Seems like all I needed to to was remove my head from my...you know.
Thank ye for such words of wisdom ;)
Congratulations! In retrospect, do you have any suggestions for those taking the NREMT?