Suggestion for search

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I don't remember ever seeing this, and I've been around here for a bit. I remember something similar, but not exactly the same. If it has been discussed, it would be fairly ironic.

I have noticed that there have been many issues with people not searching before posting. Would it be possible to have some sort of checkbox near the "submit new thread" button? I'm thinking it would be like the checkbox near the "reply" button on older threads, but instead, it could say something like "I have done a brief search through the forum to see if the topic I wish to start a thread about already exists." It wouldn't be great, but it might help.

Just a suggestion!

Eric

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
When was the last time you read the entire Terms and Conditions box when signing up for something... or did you just click the "I Agree" button to skip by it?

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
When was the last time you read the entire Terms and Conditions box when signing up for something... or did you just click the "I Agree" button to skip by it?

I never said that people would be guaranteed to read it. I'm just saying that it couldn't hurt.

And it would be a little bit different. The terms and conditions is fairly long. This wouldn't be.

Once again, I don't know how many people would actually read it (probably none), but seeing as people are complaining about the search so much, I just thought I would suggest it.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
Let's face it: A lot of people are lazy and won't bother using the search option (which is partly why I suggested in another thread about having a sticky on pants, boots and other equipment - they're more likely to pay attention to something like that). Most will just click the check box and not think anything about it. It's a good idea, I just don't see how it would work.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Let's face it: A lot of people are lazy and won't bother using the search option (which is partly why I suggested in another thread about having a sticky on pants, boots and other equipment - they're more likely to pay attention to something like that). Most will just click the check box and not think anything about it. It's a good idea, I just don't see how it would work.

And that's the problem. I was just thinking that the word "search" might catch their eye, and remind them. But I wasn't too optimistic about the whole thing. :sad:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Vbulletin has a feature that may help.

When you go to "Create new thread" and you type in the thread title, a little box pops up with a few threads with similar titles. It says "Please look at these threads before you start a new one"

Maybe that feature should be activated here?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Vbulletin has a feature that may help.

When you go to "Create new thread" and you type in the thread title, a little box pops up with a few threads with similar titles. It says "Please look at these threads before you start a new one"

Maybe that feature should be activated here?
Good idea. We're upgrading later tonight. We'll have to try out that feature.