Strange stuff on your truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
IMG_6642.JPG

We actually carry these in the jump bags.

Anyone know why?

What do you carry that is 100% pointless?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Do ya'll regularly place people in traction in your truck?

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Traction for forearm fractures?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
For entertaining...uh...kids?

We had MAST on board til last year, which was hilarious. I kinda think carrying contact lens cases is silly, but I could see the use, once in a blue moon. Oh, and paper cups for eye shields - a cheapo method.

(Oh, Hare traction splints - why wouldn't you just get Sager splints?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
They do kind of look like Chinese finger traps.

As far as strange stuff on our trucks. I'd have to say tongue depressors. I've never used them, so I'd label them out of place.

Also, how do you guys like that "Hand-E" contraption? Does it work well?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope. Not for traction. We were told to use these to secure a patient's hands if they were unconscious. Seriously. We also carry a Hand-E for the same reason.

View attachment 3617

http://www.epandr.com/products/specialty/hande.php
We had 'em at my last job, for the same reason. Yet everytime we had an unconscious patient where I'd think about using it (we carried it in the c-spine bag with the collars and head beds for....reasons?) Fire would just strap their hands in with the gurney seat belts. Sometimes that seemed like it made more sense, but other times I found myself thinking the hand-E would've been better but was out voted so to speak lol. So bottom line it sat in the bag and we never used it...

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, and if I saw those finger traps sitting in a bag at work, I'd assume someone just got a bright idea one day to bring them in to entertain kids a la stuffed animals, and they just got forgot in the bag for however long vs an actual management decision to carry them for some clinical purpose

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Oh, and if I saw those finger traps sitting in a bag at work, I'd assume someone just got a bright idea one day to bring them in to entertain kids a la stuffed animals, and they just got forgot in the bag for however long vs an actual management decision to carry them for some clinical purpose

That's exactly what I thought. I said, "why are these Chinese finger traps in the bag?" The ed director told me to secure hands in unconscious patients and I started laughing. I said, "are you actually serious?" He was hurt that I didn't think it was a brilliant idea.

Chinese finger traps. SMDH.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

They do kind of look like Chinese finger traps.

As far as strange stuff on our trucks. I'd have to say tongue depressors. I've never used them, so I'd label them out of place.

Also, how do you guys like that "Hand-E" contraption? Does it work well?

Never used the hand-E. Ever.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Seizure bite sticks. No clue why we carry them.

I've actually used the tongue depressors before for a finger splint and also to make a clamp for nose bleeds. Also used them to make a cross for a cat my partner ran over.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I've used a bite stick to glurp a bunch of glucose gel into a patient buccally.

And I've made the epistaxis snout pincher out of tongue depressors. A couple of blasts of Affirn first though.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I use a tongue blades frequently when I place LMA's or even OPA's.
Never even thought of that, TBCH. Was this routine in your field paramedic days as well?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Never even thought of that, TBCH. Was this routine in your field paramedic days as well?
No, I don't remember ever being shown how to do it in the field. But I always have one handy now; they are great for pushing the tongue forward if they have a large tongue or a small mouth opening.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
No, I don't remember ever being shown how to do it in the field. But I always have one handy now; they are great for pushing the tongue forward if they have a large tongue or a small mouth opening.
Cool, thanks. Are there any specific, or special techniques that go along with it, and is there a certain finesse to it?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Cool, thanks. Are there any specific, or special techniques that go along with it, and is there a certain finesse to it?
Nope, just put the blade in the mouth to push the tongue and jaw forward while you slide the LMA in.

Status
Not open for further replies.