Start EMT classes next week

daedralarsa

Forum Probie
Well i finished my useless basics and now im going to start the EMT basic classes in 2 weeks. i have clinicals on wed, practicum on saturday, and lecture and lab on tue and thur. My question is, is there anything I should start studying to prepare myself? and any advice for me on what to expect? i really cant wait to start, but i dont want to not know anything going in. so any information would be awesome and much apreciated. thanks

Adam

AndiBugg

Forum Crew Member
Good luck with your class, if it was anything like mine, you'll love it, I wouldnt start just yet, but really pay attention and put some extra time in OB and Peds, those are probably some of the harder sections on the tests. Also I made note cards for when it come time for the national and state exams. They really helped. Good luck

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I would suggest learning the acronyms.
SAMPLE, DCAP-BTLS, OPQRST, AVPU....these are just some of them, but the important ones. Look them up in your book, make flash cards and memorize them. You'll be using them a lot and getting tested on them often.

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
Study hard, pay attention, ask lots of questions & do lots of clinical/ambulance ride time so you can practice what you're learning in class.

Good luck! You will love it!

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
good luck. I finish mine in two weeks. It's challenging and easy at the same time.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I finish May 15th. I can not wait. I will never let my EMT lapse again.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I finish May 15th. I can not wait. I will never let my EMT lapse again.

How long had it been since your EMT lapsed? I know of a training center in New England which does a weekend Basic "refresher" which enables people who have lapsed Basic cards test for National Registry.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Well i finished my useless basics. Adam

If you are talking about English, Psychology, Anatomy & Physiology... I hate to inform you, but that information you will use a lot more than anything taught in EMT course. Seriously...

I would suggest learning the acronyms.
SAMPLE, DCAP-BTLS, OPQRST, AVPU....these are just some of them, but the important ones. Look them up in your book, make flash cards and memorize them. You'll be using them a lot and getting tested on them often.

Ironically, I still do not recall what any of those B.S. acronyms are except for AVPU, and yes I am an instructor level for all those areas. I don't like teaching them or expecting anyone to memorize such useless crap, except for a test. If they are taught properly and fully understand each step and process, then one will not have to attempt to recall an acronym.

Ask anyone 6 months to a year after a course to recall what most of the acronyms stand for and you will have a blank stare, the same as DCAP in my area, since BTLS/IHTLS is not even taught in my state (which makes it hard to keep my instructor level), rather PHTLS is preferred.

As for as documenting, we need to get away drilling in SOAP, SAMPLE, methods, etc.. with so many going electronic charting, most companies have their own specific way of documentation and format. I know of some medics and EMS personal, that have never documented a patient report on paper in their career. Emphasis need to be placed upon spelling, proper documentation facts, medical terminology and physiological terms. Formats should be discussed and reviewed only. I make students truly chart on at least ten patients in their clinical packet. This provides feed back on proper documentation skills.

My suggestion to you, is to plan to study at least 2-3 hours a week, and you will do fine. Basic EMT is not a hard or difficult course as some attempt to present it, as it is rated just above an advanced first aid course. Reading and understanding anatomy and physiology prior will expedite your understanding of the course objectives. Read ahead and practice your skills as much as possible and you will do fine.

Good luck,

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
How long had it been since your EMT lapsed? I know of a training center in New England which does a weekend Basic "refresher" which enables people who have lapsed Basic cards test for National Registry.

It was my New York State card, Not national registry. It lapsed in 2002.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
It was my New York State card, Not national registry. It lapsed in 2002.

What;s the story with NY and NREMT? If I have a NREMT-I and state Intermediate card, can I get a card in NY? I went to their website and it was a tad confusing.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Ironically, I still do not recall what any of those B.S. acronyms are except for AVPU, and yes I am an instructor level for all those areas. I don't like teaching them or expecting anyone to memorize such useless crap, except for a test. If they are taught properly and fully understand each step and process, then one will not have to attempt to recall an acronym.

Honestly, for about a year after I got my EMT-Basic I used SAMPLE on every patient. It saved my butt over and over as I was so gittery and inexperienced with treating human beings, that it was great to have SAMPLE to fall back on. Of course that was a bunch of years ago and I dont really need it, but I find myself going back to them for nostalgia reasons.

To the OP: Those acronyms will become your bedmates over the next few months. If you have the time now I highly suggest you commit them to memory. Good luck and post back here to let us know how you're doing.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
What;s the story with NY and NREMT? If I have a NREMT-I and state Intermediate card, can I get a card in NY? I went to their website and it was a tad confusing.

2 different organizations. I had a NY State card but no national registry card. NY State required me to retake the class because so much time had passed. National registry never had me as an EMT to begin with and would have required to take a class. My current EMT class covers both.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
2 different organizations. I had a NY State card but no national registry card. NY State required me to retake the class because so much time had passed. National registry never had me as an EMT to begin with and would have required to take a class. My current EMT class covers both.

Cool, but I am still wondering how NY accepts NREMT?

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
Adam,

I use the acronyms as well. Personally, I don't think they're BS. Sticking to them helps me ensure I get all of the information in a sometimes chaotic situation. I'm just the type of person who learns well with these types of study tools. I apply acronyms to lots of areas of my life to help me remember things...not just EMS.

Your tests will really harp on SAMPLE, DCAP-BTLS, AVPU, OPQRST, etc. & when you get into the field it will seem like you're not going down the checklist, but you really are (just mentally)...

For me, acronyms just help me make sure I'm not leaving anything out.

OP
OP
D

daedralarsa

Forum Probie
If you are talking about English, Psychology, Anatomy & Physiology... I hate to inform you, but that information you will use a lot more than anything taught in EMT course. Seriously...

yea my anatomy class wasnt useless, but psychology was like common sense stuff and english blaaaaaaa
but thank you to everyone for your advice and support!
i cant wait to start, and ill let you know how it goes

thanks again!!!!!

Adam

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
Acronyms aren't for everyone. I'm not hardcore on acronyms as mneumonics but I know for some they really work. I don't remember DCAP-BLS-TIC either without taking more time to think about it than a thorough assessment. But I know medics that shpiel those off faster than an auctioneer. And others that make up their own.

They'll be helpful for school. But if they hold you back, find your own rhythm to help.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I use the acronyms.. they work for me. They help me tick off the stuff I've done and locate what I might have missed. It's like a powerpoint program.. not going to teach you anything.. but helps keep the instructor on track. I made up little cheat sheets, laminated and small enough to fit on the back of a radio, with the written out sample, opqrst, soap, avpu, dcap-btls, and a list of things to ask.. D.O.B, Personal Phys, Hx, I hand them out to all the new EMT's some use them, some don't....

Not everyone finds the same tools useful in the same ways.. different learning styles, different personality types. That's what so great about forums like this.. you can see the many different ways there are to skin cats.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief

I've taken a good course in psychology and just happen to know that this mnemonic technique does make it easier to commit information to short and long term memory. I understand what you're saying but I do think there is a place for this as well.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Regardless of our like or dislike of the acronyms, we can all agree that the original poster is going to be tested heavily on them. It's worth it to memorize them now.