Skills test

jlc328

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I am about halfway through my EMTb class... I have been doing really well on the tests and have an A in the class. I am not too worried about the written test, but the skills test terrifies me. So tell me, what was your experience and was it difficult to pass?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'll tell you what I told my brother. Look at all the monosynaptic f-tards (thanks KG) walking around with an EMT patch on their shoulder. It obviously can't be that hard.

You'll do fine. Repetition is key. Helping grade/walking others through the sheets also helps to memorize the smaller points.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
are you taking a course that requires the NREMT practical and written?

If so go to their website and download their skill sheets. Once you got it down study with a partner, Make up scenarios based on what the skill sheet is supposed to be Medical or trauma and go down it.

I used to do this with EMT's getting ready for their practical a ton of times they come to station Myself and my partner would go over scenarios with them and use the skill sheets as a grading guidleline If they missed something I would give them a chance at the end "would you have done anything different" and give them credit for it. Accept constructive critisims from the people helping you.

Cowman

Forum Ride Along
When I did Basic. I broke the sheets down into 3 by 5 cards. With each section of the sheets on each card. Carried them around with me all the time. Seemed to help memorize them. And I also practiced on a big Teddy Bear. At home. Regards.

EMT B

Forum Captain
i used to take every single step of a skill sheet and put it on a piece of scrap paper..i would then mix up all the pieces of paper and then put them in the correct order.

if you are already affiliated with a department, have someone help you with them. grab a training dummy or another person and run through some scenarios.

if that isn't available, get a couple friends or family members to help you.

as previously stated, repetition is the key!

delicatemess

Forum Ride Along
I'm pretty booksmart but I get a lot of anxiety having to do skills in front of other people so that part was very hard for me too. Like the others said, I broke down every skill sheet down into sections (especially trauma/medical) and put them on notecards. I had friends pick a skill sheet and I repeated it back to them step by step. Most of them are straight forward but I did practice more "hands on" for trauma and medical with a pretend person or dummy at school.

Also if you have questions about ANYTHING, ask an instructor. I asked a lot of dumb questions but I'm glad I did. (like if you insert an OPA the opposite way will you fail?). Take the extra time to practice with the equipment while you can.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

That's my mantra for skills testing and driving. If I start to go too fast I will make a mistake and either miss a step or even worse hurt someone if I'm driving.

Repetition and practice will help to build confidence. Don't keep running the same scenarios. Have someone mix things up for you, things that will make you think about why you are doing certain interventions for your pt.

Good luck.