Should someone with a juvenile record be able to become an EMT?

Should someone with a juvenile criminal background be able to become an EMT?

• Yes

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 36 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
This question was asked on our Facebook page and I felt it would be a good poll question.

Should someone with a juvenile criminal background be able to become an EMT or Firefighter?

So what are your thoughts? Vote above and leave your comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
I think it should depend on the crime committed. I wouldn't even consider someone with multiple assault charges with a few theft thrown in. but some minor stuff as long as the individual has made right on it is ok. sometimes times joining ems of the ff field helps these individuals out. But they must be competent at the task at hand.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Case by case basis with consideration to the crime committed, the time elapsed from said crime, and the persons history since then.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Case by case basis with consideration to the crime committed, the time elapsed from said crime, and the persons history since then.

That's pretty much my thoughts as well.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It depends... if it's the person I'm thinking it is, she's asked on a few other sites already.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
It's a juvenile record.....If the person has grown and matured, and it isn't a felony conviction, then I see no reason that they should be prevented. Just a thought....

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I voted yes. Why not if a person with a youth record can become a LEO or Firefighter I don't see why not EMS. Here in Canada we have the youth Criminal Justice Act and as well the record is permanently sealed for five years after they turn 18 in the case of an indictable offence and two years if the offence was a summary conviction (here in Canada our two classifications are Indictable and the less serious is summary conviction we no longer use the terms felony and misdemeanor).

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
^
So basically, someone who's 17 and 364 days old who commits premeditated murder basically gets a "get out of a felony free" card because they did it a day before becoming an adult?

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
^
So basically, someone who's 17 and 364 days old who commits premeditated murder basically gets a "get out of a felony free" card because they did it a day before becoming an adult?

Yes and no here in Canada with a crime like that there would be a hearing to transfer the case or a waiver hearing to regular court so the person could be tried as an adult. If the hearing was not successful and the crown lost then yes.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

That ^

Veneficus

Forum Chief
It depends... if it's the person I'm thinking it is, she's asked on a few other sites already.

So what was the crime?

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
I wholeheartedly believe that people can change their lives. I grew up in Providence , Rhode Island and did things back in the day that I certainly wouldn't do now. Unluckily I got caught a time or two and ended up with a sealed juvenille record. For me it was a wake up call. I actually re-enrolled myself in an alternative high school, stopped hanging out with the seriously bad apples and only hung out with the moderately bad apples. And did my best to keep my nose clean. Fast forward two decades from my arrest and convictions and I've worked as an EMT , currently work as a nurse,served my country overseas in a combat zone in the National Guard, graduated college, worked as a corrections officer, and have lived a clean life. BTW my degree is in criminal justice so I do realize that prior criminal behavior is the best indicator for future criminal behavior but if we deny people a chance to rehab and prove themselves then we are setting them up for failure and keeping them in the cycle of criminal activity and getting arrested.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

This sounds like a perfect answer

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
The Situation

Ok.Heres the Situation.I was 17 when my friend stole an ipod and it was in my possession at the time and I didn't want her to get sent away(she is a trouble maker) so I took the blame (never thinking it would go to court if i took the blame).Keep in mind I have never been in trouble before.I went to court plead guilty because I figured it would get less of an punishment then saying I did it and then saying I didn't do it. They considered it a felony so it was put on my juvenile record.I didn't get into trouble at all while i was on probation.I did extra community service because I found it fun and because i like helping others. My PO even found it funny that i was in that type of trouble.I didn't think it was going to effect my life more than what it did.I've wanted to be a Paramedic/Firefighter since i was 10.its all I think about and i help with calls all the time and know my stuff.I even know all the firefighters and EMS around. I turned 18 and wanted to take my EMT class right away so I could get on the FD but I heard that I couldn't because of my felony. I called the lady that teaches the classes and she told me that I have to take the clas,pay for it,pass it,register and thts whenI will be told if i can be an EMT or not.Not her rules.The governments dumb rules. My life is pointless without that EMT license.I was just wondering what everyone else thought and if they were in that situation at some point in time and how it turned out for them.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Ah, much clearer picture than an amorphous "Can someone with a felony be an EMT?"

Michigan EMS office FAQ answer regarding felonies:
http://www.michigan.gov/mdch/0,1607,7-132-2946_5093_28508-47472--,00.html#Misd_Felony

It doesn't look like Michigan requires National Registry for initial licensure, which means one less hoop to jump through (NREMT can deny their certification independently of any state for criminal records).

The immediate action you can take is to email Michigan's EMS office to see what they say. You might just get a boiler plate response that it's reviewed at time of application, or you might get a usable (albeit non-binding) response. You won't know unless you email them.

Be honest on any application with the who/what/when/where/why, however definitely take responsibility. "Own the mistake" so to speak and talk about how you've learned from it.

Long term: Contact a lawyer regarding sealing or expunging your record. From a cursory Google search, it looks like you have to wait 5 years past conviction or release from custody (which ever is later, but it looks like conviction given the information you've shared) to get your record wiped. This will clear up a lot of the problems.

Good luck!

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
First off your life is not pointless without an EMT license. Had one let it lapse for a good number of years, somehow life went on it's absence. Find something to do in the meantime, pursue a college degree or do pre-req's for EMT-P such as A+P while you keep your nose clean and find out what it takes to clear your record. That way your a step ahead when you do get your EMT. As for your record if your state seals juvenille convictions don't self admit anything. The rules that seal juvenille records were put in place for a reason. The one time I did self-admit my juvenille record it kept me out of the Army job I wanted at the time. Real kicker is when the feds at meps ran my prints they found no record.:wacko:

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
Thank you.That was really helpful. I had the teacher of our EMT classes talk to the State about whether or not we can figure out if we can get licensure due to the felony before we take the class.The State said that they cannot tell and no refunds will be given if the class is taken and the registration for being an EMT is denied. I've been thinking about trying to get my record supressed so the FD can't see it (even though I will tell the Chief about the issue) I go into the court house once a week asking for the paper work to get my record supressed,they hand me expungment paperwork.It isn't useful because I'm too young to do that. Little lost there.

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
Not going to lie sir,I feel like I was made to be a paramedic and to do nothing else but help. I'm currently going to college and pursuing a nursing degree for an ER Nurse in the meantime till I'm a Paramedic.I've been told that I can't become a nurse with a felony.Little lost on what to do.i know everything about both its just a matter of getting the darn paperwork. I do not know if my state has the Self-admit thung.I will look into it.Thanks for the heads up with that.