Shift Change

medictinysc

Forum Crew Member
Hello. I currently work 12 hour shift and going to a 24 hour shift any thoughts? Advice? I know that I need a uniform in my pov. What else its been a while since I worked as long shifts

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Bedding, pillow, stuff to keep yourself entertained, toiletries.

Just pretend you're going to a hotel and pack everything you'd need for that, because that's basically what you're doing.

Oh, and don't forget gum or breath mints for those 0300 calls where you've got nasty breath.

wigwag

Forum Probie
- Sleeping bag. You don't want to sleep on whatever linens were left from the previous 24.
- Pillow(s). See above.
- Hat. Unless your hair looks good at 0200.
- A laptop with an HD or thumb drive full of movies, TV shows, reruns of Emergency!
- Toiletries bag with normal overnight stuff: deodorant, toothbrush, mints, hairspray, pepto, bufferin, etc
- Extra uniform
- Extra phone charger
- I like a bat belt so I can wake up, void, put boots/hat/belt on, toss in some mints, and go.

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
Don't forget 3 to 4 meals, including snacks. Eating out gets expensive. And you start to resemble some of the folks you're picking up.

Engineered

Forum Probie
I bring my own pillow, the most annoying yet comfortable set of sheets you can find (that way no one else beds down on your rack), an extra t-shirt to wear instead of your uniform shirt to bed, an iPad with netflix installed on it (its a lifesaver when you can't sleep), a pack of gum, gallon of water and anything else that makes you comfy. I also find that the zip up boots have really helped in that jumping out of the rack and getting going @ 4 in the morning thing. Also, radio and radio charger as close to your head as possible, always a fun way to wake up :)

AzValley

Forum Lieutenant
I too bring my own pillow as I find I can sleep almost anywhere with it and almost no where without it.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Bring a fan. This is not necessary to stay cool, but rather to create white noise. If you're having trouble trying to sleep, you tend to notice every little sound. If you're stationed with fire/rescue, there's typically a bunch of people going in and out of the bunkrooms, watching TV one room over, pillow talk, etc. A good fan can eliminate that noise.

AzValley

Forum Lieutenant
Bring a fan. This is not necessary to stay cool, but rather to create white noise. If you're having trouble trying to sleep, you tend to notice every little sound. If you're stationed with fire/rescue, there's typically a bunch of people going in and out of the bunkrooms, watching TV one room over, pillow talk, etc. A good fan can eliminate that noise.

That is a great tip. I am doing this

OP
OP
medictinysc

medictinysc

Forum Crew Member
Thanks everyone

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
...pillow talk...

Do I want to know?

OP... Pretty much everyone nailed it. Bedding, spare uniform, entertainment, electronics chargers. I'd suggest spare "normal" clothing too.