Scoppetta: FDNY's Response Time,

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
(New York-WABC, May 27, 2005) -- Fire commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta, is turning on his own men with an unprecedented attack. Scoppetta is accusing firefighters and their union of intentionally risking the lives of New Yorkers.

Fire commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta, is turning on his own men with an unprecedented attack. Scoppetta is accusing firefighters and their union of intentionally risking the lives of New Yorkers. Eyewitness News reporter Ken Rosato has more on the story.

Scoppetta's firetrucks and ambulances are taking a lot longer to reach scenes where extra seconds can mean lives lost.

Scoppetta blames the delays on a union plot to stop the city from closing firehouses. Scoppetta says union bosses are intentionally trying to increase response times. The union, he says, wants to force the FDNYto re-open closed firehouses and increase staffing.

Full Text

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 27 2005, 01:15 PM
Scoppetta blames the delays on a union plot
Someone needs to ease off on the conspiracy theories....

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Fire engine response times are up 18 seconds. The response to medical emergencies is up 22 seconds.

Scoppetta says the union is telling drivers to stop at all red lights and stop signs while heading to calls even though regulations, don't require a stop.

Union leaders call the commissioner's charge "ridiculous" but Scoppetta says the union campaign began after a spectacular fire truck crash in the Bronx last July.

A civilian was killed when the fire rig went through a red light at 30 miles an hour.

The FDNY took disciplinary action against the rig's driver and a fire officer.

This seems like a crock.

I doubt the union minds the increased response time when it comes to barganing, but I'm sorry, this seems very Safety-oriented, and a good thing.

If the ambulance or fire engine takes an extra 30 seconds, I really don't mind, so long as they show up.

I'd rather have it take longer, but get the ambulance originally dispatched, not the 3rd closest.

Jon

OP
OP
rescuecpt

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I agree, safety is key, as long as these measures aren't being used as bargaining chips.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 27 2005, 01:48 PM
I agree, safety is key, as long as these measures aren't being used as bargaining chips.
Oh, the unions probably don't mind the ability to justify more staffing because of delayed response times, but I'm SURE the union didn't start it for that.

As it said, members of both unions got disciplined, and they are trying to protect their member's lives and jobs.

ECC

Forum Captain
The fact of the matter is:

FDNY as a whole response agency has about 1.3 million runs/yearly.

There are 900-1000 MVA's while running hot/year +/-. (1 MVA in 1300 runs...that is what... 0.007%?? :eek: )

They ARE finding the Chauffeurs at fault, and FINING them BIG dollars.

If you were a Chauffeur, what would you do?

I would be much more careful (I already am VERY careful...fast...but careful). For some that translates to slower. It is the way of the world. Scopetta cannot have it both ways. He is a puppet of Bloomburg! This is not a plot of the union. It is the natural response of the Chauffeurs to make certain they stay out of trouble!

If they re-opened those 6 companies they closed I bet the response times might drop a little.