Scenerio 4

Chris EMT J

Forum Lieutenant
This scenerio is based on a recent case so s few details are changed for patient privacy.

Male 50s CC of weakness
Vitals are
HR in low 100s
BP around 99/48
O2 98% on RA
RR 20
Temp 101.6
BGL 104

SAMPLE:
Weakness, no allergies, taking ibuprofen for pain post surgery, past medical history of a ankle surgery about 2days prior, no other pmx, last oral intake was some water, events leading was resting.

I started a IV (not running anything)
High HR + Low BP got a intercept
Paramedic agreed that fluids may help so started 250cc of normal saline. We were very close to hospital so not much time to do anything else except paramedic did do a quick ECG which was normal.

Suspecting possible sepsis from post surgery but not 100% sure

So any feedback on how to improve here?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't understand why you'd call for an intercept for this patient when you're "very close" to the hospital. Was the transport delayed for the IV and fluid bolus?

OP
OP
Chris EMT J

Chris EMT J

Forum Lieutenant
I don't understand why you'd call for an intercept for this patient when you're "very close" to the hospital. Was the transport delayed for the IV and fluid bolus?
No we were close when I met with the intercept. The overall ETA was 15min but we started driving with patient then met up with a intercept on the way. No delay in IV or fluids

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
This scenerio is based on a recent case so s few details are changed for patient privacy.

Male 50s CC of weakness
Vitals are
HR in low 100s
BP around 99/48
O2 98% on RA
RR 20
Temp 101.6
BGL 104

SAMPLE:
Weakness, no allergies, taking ibuprofen for pain post surgery, past medical history of a ankle surgery about 2days prior, no other pmx, last oral intake was some water, events leading was resting.
what was your differential diagnosis?
I started a IV (not running anything)
High HR + Low BP got a intercept
why does high HR and low BP = intercept? isn't that a normal reaction? again, dumb hose dragger here, and A&P isn't my strong point. Also, not saying your wrong, just asking a question.
Paramedic agreed that fluids may help so started 250cc of normal saline. We were very close to hospital so not much time to do anything else except paramedic did do a quick ECG which was normal.

Suspecting possible sepsis from post surgery but not 100% sure

What is the paramedic going to do for sepsis? low BP and elevated temp can def lead to possible sepsis, so an IV with running fluids might be appropriate; what made you decide not to hang a 250cc or 1L bag on the patient? what other paramedic interventions do you think the patient needed?

OP
OP
Chris EMT J

Chris EMT J

Forum Lieutenant
what was your differential diagnosis?

why does high HR and low BP = intercept? isn't that a normal reaction? again, dumb hose dragger here, and A&P isn't my strong point. Also, not saying your wrong, just asking a question.

What is the paramedic going to do for sepsis? low BP and elevated temp can def lead to possible sepsis, so an IV with running fluids might be appropriate; what made you decide not to hang a 250cc or 1L bag on the patient? what other paramedic interventions do you think the patient needed?
My differential is infection, surgical complication, or the chance it's unrelated. I wanted a intercept because patients hemodynamic status was questionable and if BP drops a bit more the medic could give a presser unlike me. Medic may not be able to help with sepsis but can help with a questionable hemodynamic status. I only did a 250cc because I wanted a paramedic opinion about ether 1L of fluids or 250cc of fluids and a presser. I really wasn't sure which would improve hemodynamics more. Patients BP did come up some and did become more stable but after the 250cc we were pretty much already there so the ED can decide what they want to do after that.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
No we were close when I met with the intercept. The overall ETA was 15min but we started driving with patient then met up with a intercept on the way. No delay in IV or fluids
This isn't a big deal, but you say you're looking for feedback. Did you consider cancelling the intercept when you got close to the hospital? All the medic did was start a fluid bolus, which could have waited (not that I'm criticizing the medic). I think you're spending too much time looking for solutions in search of problems.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
OP
OP
Chris EMT J

Chris EMT J

Forum Lieutenant
This isn't a big deal, but you say you're looking for feedback. Did you consider cancelling the intercept when you got close to the hospital? All the medic did was start a fluid bolus, which could have waited (not that I'm criticizing the medic). I think you're spending too much time looking for solutions in search of problems.
I considered cancelling intercept yes, but decided not to so the medic could give input. Like interpret the ECG we did on a advance level. Btw we ECGs for a lot of reasons at my company including the complaint of weakness.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Obviously your post is abridged of information that you gathered from the patient about their history. However, after reading a few of these posts I would recommend really focusing on history taking and developing an assessment with differential. From there, people (colleagues, ED staff, random strangers on the internet) will be able to better guide you on management, and you will more often pick the most reasonable management options on your own.

When I read the scenario I'm not 100% convinced an ankle surgery 2 days prior causes sepsis. Pretty unusual to have surgical site infection that early especially not in the setting of prior ankle hardware, joint infections, chronic wounds, poor perfusion.

OP
OP
Chris EMT J

Chris EMT J

Forum Lieutenant
Obviously your post is abridged of information that you gathered from the patient about their history. However, after reading a few of these posts I would recommend really focusing on history taking and developing an assessment with differential. From there, people (colleagues, ED staff, random strangers on the internet) will be able to better guide you on management, and you will more often pick the most reasonable management options on your own.

When I read the scenario I'm not 100% convinced an ankle surgery 2 days prior causes sepsis. Pretty unusual to have surgical site infection that early especially not in the setting of prior ankle hardware, joint infections, chronic wounds, poor perfusion.
Thank you for the feedback I will try to take better histories and create more of a differential. Thanks for being clear on what I can improve I really appreciate! :)