SAM Splints

Jango

Forum Crew Member
Anyone out there have good high resolution pictures of SAM splints in use? I am working on a training class on splinting and I am in need of some good pictures. If anyone can be of help I would appreciate it!

OP
OP
Jango

Jango

Forum Crew Member
Awesome! I will try that and see what they hook me up with!

Kimmy Schaub

Forum Probie
1109-S.jpg

UNIVERSAgross.jpg

mikie

Forum Lurker
I think it was on the SAM splint's website or somewhere else, if I recall...

I saw a make-shift C-Collar made from a Sam Splint...I wouldn't use it on a pt. if I had the real collar, as it seems it wouldn't be as stable

OP
OP
Jango

Jango

Forum Crew Member
Those are actually quite helpful, I am essentially teaching leg and arm splints. The conditions they are operating in.....no c collars. Although I am very interested in how well a sam would work in that capacity....better than nothing.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I was working on a class on splinting and got really frustrated because I couldn't find a good illustration of how to use a pillow to splint an ankle. Finally just grabbed a pillow, some duct tape and my oldest son and took one myself!

OP
OP
Jango

Jango

Forum Crew Member
I pretty much did just that....found an airman and told them they get to be famous. Ahhh....the joys of being an NCO. And yes.....despite SAMs having pictures on them and a nice detailed insert on how to use them.....NO ONE EVEN NOTICES THEM.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
D20_0004_05-21_LOW_RES.jpg

This image I photographed for the new Brady Paramedic Care (Bledsoe) book. The SAM splint is used to hold a large trauma dressing in place. It can easily be placed under and around the patient with minimal movement of the patient. Fold back the ends and use kerlex, etc. to bind the SAM splint snug to hold the trauma dressing in place.

Ray

John E

Forum Captain
Now that right there...

is an imaginative way to use a SAM.

Ray, I noticed you're from St. Louis, what high school did you go to?

I went to Kirkwood, now living in SoCal.

Welcome to the forums too by the way.

John E.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
is an imaginative way to use a SAM.

Ray, I noticed you're from St. Louis, what high school did you go to?

I went to Kirkwood, now living in SoCal.

Welcome to the forums too by the way.

John E.

Yes it is an imaginative way to use the splint. I meant to ask Bledose if this was his brainchild. I went to McCluer North high school.

Ray

John E

Forum Captain
that and...

who has the best toasted ravioli...quintessential St. Louis questions.

I miss a lot of what I took for granted when I lived there. Seems like the only times I go back now is for family funerals.

John E.

P.S. So Mikie333, what high school did you go to?

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
SAMSplints are also great as improvised c-collars-- let me try to dig up some good photos of them...

Kimmy Schaub

Forum Probie
Those are actually quite helpful, I am essentially teaching leg and arm splints. The conditions they are operating in.....no c collars. Although I am very interested in how well a sam would work in that capacity....better than nothing.

I doubt they would be helpful at all for C-spine- in fact I would not try it because it could cause further harm. If you dont have a c-collar available, best bet is to manually hold the pt in C-spine until backup or PI arrives

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I doubt they would be helpful at all for C-spine- in fact I would not try it because it could cause further harm. If you dont have a c-collar available, best bet is to manually hold the pt in C-spine until backup or PI arrives

And what happens if you're in a MCI and run out of C-Collars? While I admit using a SAM Splint as a C-Collar is not the first choice of spinal immobilization, it will work in a pinch. We've actually practiced this in training, and it works just as well as a traditional one when done correctly.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
SAMSplints are used extensivly in Wilderness Medicine. For a spinal injury that is miles or days away from EMS/MDs, they work well. Again, when bent correctly, they have many, many uses.