Sacramento, CA area companies? (for Paramedics)

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Hey everyone!

I did search through the archives but most of the posts were 10+ years old, referring to EMT-B jobs only, or devolved into bickering about Orange County. :) Or in some cases, the companies mentioned simply do not exist anymore.

How is the Sacramento Area these days? Who's hiring? Who might be within a 30-45 minute drive?

I'm aware of AMR. I also know that Metro Fire does a single role paramedic sometimes, but they want you over to the fire side within 3 years.

I've heard to avoid SVA, and this seems consistent with previous posts dating back to 2013.

AlphaOne seems to have a good reputation. I have heard good things about them.

Norcal is active up here with the UC Davis contract. I see them around some but haven't been able to talk to any of them.

I've seen Bay Medic around, and also Medic Ambulance. I've also seen one towards Elk Grove that's called America West or something?

What about the surrounding counties? Who does stuff in San Joaquin? I've seen Bi-County Ambulance but can't find much info on them. I've also seen American Legion Ambulance, and same thing - can't find any info.

Primarily interested in companies that have a decent/flexible PRN policy. I'm finishing up college (finally) and flexibility is an absolute must-have for me. I try to shy away from companies that are loaded with dialysis runs or long distance transfers.

Any current Dec 2020 info would be lovely.

Thanks!

Edit: I was going to try asking on reddit but they're notorious for removing threads and turfing you to /r/newtoems

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Bi-County Ambulance does 911 in Yuba and Sutter Counties. Hence the name "Bi-County." American Legion does 911 up in Amador and Calaveras Counties. Medic Ambulance does 911 in Solano and they're BLS/ALS/CCT in the Sacramento region but they're not 911 in Sacramento. AMR does very limited 911 and they also do BLS/ALS/CCT primarily. America West, Bay Medic, and pretty much all the others that don't do 911 all do primarily transfers and dialysis runs. Pro-Trans is another one that's basically like the rest, but I noticed you didn't post about them.

Unfortunately I know very little about the current crop of ambulance companies or how they run their business or schedule their crews.

OP
OP
fm_emt

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Bi-County Ambulance does 911 in Yuba and Sutter Counties. Hence the name "Bi-County." American Legion does 911 up in Amador and Calaveras Counties. Medic Ambulance does 911 in Solano and they're BLS/ALS/CCT in the Sacramento region but they're not 911 in Sacramento. AMR does very limited 911 and they also do BLS/ALS/CCT primarily. America West, Bay Medic, and pretty much all the others that don't do 911 all do primarily transfers and dialysis runs. Pro-Trans is another one that's basically like the rest, but I noticed you didn't post about them.

Unfortunately I know very little about the current crop of ambulance companies or how they run their business or schedule their crews.
Thanks for the info! From where I currently live, Amador county isn't a super long drive. I might check into them.

I had forgotten about Pro-Transport, although I do remember seeing one of their trucks around. Also saw a truck from Royal today too but they seem to mostly be down in the SF Bay Area. Bit far of a drive for me. :)

Things in EMS are definitely different out here. I forgot that most areas were covered by private services.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Things in EMS are definitely different out here. I forgot that most areas were covered by private services.
In Sacramento County itself, Sacramento City Fire, Sacramento Metro Fire, Cosumnes River CSD, and Folsom City Fire are pretty much the primary 911 providers. All the other ground transport providers (with one possible minor exception) do private emergency calls, transfers, dialysis runs, and all the "regular" CCT calls. If the ground service does ALS transport, they also do provide (rarely though) back up 911.

OP
OP
fm_emt

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
In Sacramento County itself, Sacramento City Fire, Sacramento Metro Fire, Cosumnes River CSD, and Folsom City Fire are pretty much the primary 911 providers.

ah yes. I have the feeling that a CPAT test is in my future.

Last edited by a moderator: