Sacramento Area volunteer gig June 9th!!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
On or about June 9th this year, the CRPA (California Rifle and Pistol Association) is having it's 2nd Annual Family Fun shoot at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center, near Sacramento, CA.

They are looking for volunteers to staff a basic first aid station. When I say basic, I really mean they provide Basic First Aid and should there be any injuries that require transport, they'll be utilizing the regular 911 system. While there will be some EMT's, Paramedics, RN's, and perhaps the occasional MD at the event, the First Aid staff will primarily be EMT/Paramedic/RN personnel and they'll ALL function as basic first aid because there's no medical director to allow for an expanded scope beyond that.

So, for those of you that like to shoot, and are willing to come out for a while and volunteer, please send me a PM and I'll see if we have space for you. This truly is volunteer, you won't get paid... but parking will be free (for you) and they'll feed you lunch. When not actually "working" you will be able to walk around and visit the venues and perhaps even share in the fun! Of course, some of those venues require that you supply some ammo, so you'd have to buy that, but on the whole, that's OK!

Yes, I will be there and I'll be helping coordinate stuff there. So, it's really up to you if you want to do a little volunteer work, hang out with fellow shooters, and have some fun in the mean time!!!

Am I getting paid for this? Not a chance. I am, however, planning to have some fun this year!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
If you cannot find enough volunteers, there is a group that is located both here in the San Francisco Bay Area and near Sacramento too called Rock Medicine "Rockmed". They usually do concerts, but they love to volunteer at other events too like marathons and graduations, and they do it for free.

OP
OP
Akulahawk

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If you cannot find enough volunteers, there is a group that is located both here in the San Francisco Bay Area and near Sacramento too called Rock Medicine "Rockmed". They usually do concerts, but they love to volunteer at other events too like marathons and graduations, and they do it for free.
I'm pretty familiar with Rockmed. If the same group of people that volunteered last year would do it again, we'd have enough and then some... however, the more the merrier, to a point! I'd love to have some EMTLife people volunteer for two reasons: one is that it's a face-to-face event (think of it as a meet & greet) and the other is that it gets us a chance to do stuff for the community in role that's not exactly our normal EMS role.

OP
OP
Akulahawk

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Just an update on an old thread. To those of you that did come out from this forum, thanks! I heard that the event went off well, with a couple of very minor and not unexpected problems, such as a bee sting and one scope impression. Although we were glad to have on-site support from the local Fire District, we didn't need their services.

If this event was as successful as last year, I would expect they'll do it again next year. If that's the case, I expect to also be a part of their First Aid team.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
It was very laid back, no serious stuff, ambient temps were very moderate. Met two former distant colleagues from the jail/sheriff dept. Local DMAT also helped furnish some materials, notably radios. Thanks Akulahawk!

OP
OP
Akulahawk

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
It was very laid back, no serious stuff, ambient temps were very moderate. Met two former distant colleagues from the jail/sheriff dept. Local DMAT also helped furnish some materials, notably radios. Thanks Akulahawk!
mycrofft, it was my pleasure, and it was great being able to meet up with you and consume some coffee and energy rings... I hope that you'll be up for it again next year, and with a year to plan, we can improve the wheel for a better time next year. Also, I really enjoyed meting the rest of the people. I think we had a good group with a couple new faces and a couple people from last year. As it turned out, I ran into one of those faces after I left... just another example of "small world" syndrome.