Ride along

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I'm inching closer and closer to certification, I've been poking around at jobs.

I went to Medstar, did a ride along with them. I thought I'd be going out with a crew, but turns out they don't let non-employees do that?

I went with a sup. Saw the city, caught the tail end of a few calls. All the MVCs were too far to make, but there were a few interesting things.

After the ride, I sat with dispatch for nearly an hour, just seeing how they handle things.

The sup said he was really impressed with me and gave me his card, said if I end up applying, to put his name down on the application.

The operation seems pretty smooth, they gave a wait, so hopefully by the time I'm certified, they'll be open. And by his guess, it might just coincide that way based on how they do things.

I'm keeping my options open, but I definitely want to start with them if possible.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Awesome, glad you got to see how they do things

Once you get your state card in hand (or really, your state number that shows you are certified), drop off an application, and use the supervisor to get yourself in the door.

I would still suggest you apply elsewhere too, in case you don't get an offer, but use any in you can to get that first job.

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Awesome, glad you got to see how they do things

Once you get your state card in hand (or really, your state number that shows you are certified), drop off an application, and use the supervisor to get yourself in the door.

I would still suggest you apply elsewhere too, in case you don't get an offer, but use any in you can to get that first job.

That's all in the plan. He said I don't need the cert in hand, just proof I passed with the number on it so they can confirm it.

And while I want /this/ job, I know it's not my only option.