Resume Editing -- interview today.

8jimi8

CFRN
So, should i cut out my non-nursing/volunteer history?

i think it speaks to the other component of ICU nursing (qualified professional crisis counseling)

James Marshall Clary, RN, EMT-I85
Objective Full time position in the Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit
Experience
April 17, 2012 – July 21, 2012 (13 week contract)
Palmetto Healthcare Richland c/o Milennia Medical Staffing Columbia, South Carolina
• Level 1 trauma center, Medical Intensive Care Unit
• Offered renewal, or permanent hire
January 12 , 2012 – April 10, 2012 (13 week contract)
Holy Rosary Healthcare c/o Millenia Medical Staffing Miles City, Montana
Registered Nurse Intensive Care
• Provide Critical Care for a 25 bed Critical Access Hospital: Adults and Pediatrics
• Monitor remote telemetry for the entire hospital
• Recover surgical patients for surgeries completed after business hours
• Rapid Response Team
• Code Blue Team
• Epic computer charting
Registered Nurse Emergency Department
• Provide Emergency Care for 25 Bed Critical Access Hospital
• Triage, Treat, Admit and Discharge Adults and Pediatric Patients
Registered Nurse House Supervisor
• Administrative representative for a 25 Bed Critical Access Hospital
• Maintain staffing / census
• Patient flow coordination
• Maintain keys for inventory / supply availability for the hospital while on shift

October 17, 2010 – December 11, 2011
Seton Healthcare Network, Seton Medical Center Williamson Round Rock, Texas
Registered Nurse II Surgical / Medical Intensive Care Unit
• Level 2 Trauma Center, Stroke Center, Chest Pain Center
• Implement and document the Nursing Process for population specific patient care delivery to include the complex patient/family.
• Participate in performance improvement/research activities. Participate in activities that promote improvement of patient care/patient satisfaction. Expand/share knowledge of nursing practice.
• Coordinate care with the primary team and function as an active team member, demonstrating leadership qualities.
• Demonstrate and enhance professional growth and development, maintain and enhance clinical competency. Remain current in nursing practices.
• Indirect supervision of unlicensed assistive personnel with emphasis on proper delegation, follow-up and documentation
• Compass Super user member
• Advanced competencies: IABP (Arrow II), CVVHDF (Prismaflex), Therapeautic Hypothermia (Artic Sun), Open heart
Recovery (valves, cabg), Rotoprone Kinetic Therapy bed, Level 1 rapid infuser

Oct 19th, 2009 – Oct 16th 2010
Seton Healthcare Network, University Medical Center at Brackenridge Austin, Texas
Registered Nurse II Cardiac Stepdown Unit
• Level 1 Trauma Center, Stroke Center, Chest Pain Center
• Advanced to clinical ladder title Registered Nurse II
• Telemetry monitoring including interpretation, measurement and documentation of diagnostic ECGs
• Indirect supervision of unlicensed assistive personnel with emphasis on proper delegation, follow-up and documentation
• Completed 16 week Seton Versant RN Residency

August 19, 2009 – January 15, 2010
Baptist Medical Center, Downtown San Antonio, Texas
Registered Nurse Medical ICU
• Level 3 Trauma Center, Stroke Center, Chest Pain Center
• Completed Baptist ICU course
• Actively participated in Code Blue and Rapid Response Teams
September 2004 – August 2005 Texas Council on Family Violence: The National Domestic Violence Hotline Austin, Texas
Hotline Advocate
• Provided Client Advocacy for Domestic Violence including crime victimization and sexual assault
• Crisis Counseling
• Domestic Violence Education
• Safety Planning
• Explanation of Domestic Violence Resources
• Handling confidential client information, data entry

May 2001 – May 2003
Tom Green County Sheriff’s Office: Crisis Intervention Unit
San Angelo, Texas
Lead Volunteer
• Crisis counseling, legal advocacy, transport to safe place, victims' rights information, transport to hospital, grief counseling.
• First to be awarded Volunteer of the month.
• Awarded Volunteer Recruiter of the Year for 2001.
Office Intern (for college credit)
• Provided advocacy work for crime victims on a daily basis.
• Used grant tracking programs to document client advocacy.
• Made direct contact with victims of crime to offer services.
• Made follow-up contact with victims.

Education
2007- 2009 Austin Community College Austin, Texas
Associate of Applied Science in Nursing

2001-2003 Angelo State University San Angelo, Texas
Bachelor of Arts
• Major concentration: Psychology, Minor concentration: Philosophy
• Pi Gamma Mu, International Social Sciences Honor Society, Member

Licenses and Certifications
• Registered Nurse, Nursing Compact State, Licensed in Texas, home state
• Registered Nurse: Montana
• Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician – Intermediate 85
• Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Provider
• PALS, Provider
• PEPP, provider
• Trauma Nurse Core Curriculum (Emergency Nurse’s Association)
• Member Air and Surface Transport Nurses Association
• Member National Association of Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technicians

Selected Continuing Education

• Cardiac Monitoring Conference (Hosted by Seton Main - 2010, 2011)
• Critical Care Transport Medicine Conference, Procedural Anatomy Course ( hosted by Vanderbilt Life Flight – April 2010)
• Street Level Airway Management (Hosted by University of North Texas – May 2010)
• Flight Paramedic Certification Test Review (Hosted by International Association of Flight Paramedics at EMS Expo - November 2010)

Anjel

Forum Angel
Holy cow, you have a very impressive resume.

The only thing I can suggest is to limit the number of bullets you have for each job.

I was taught 4 bullets per job. But since your responsibilities were so extensive. I'm not sure .

I think you should leave the volunteer stuff.

Maybe take out that you were offered a permanent position or resign for that first one.

How many pages is it now?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Are you copying and pasting info from job descriptions? If so, that's a big no no. The bullet points should list what you did while at that employer. The 'wow' factors. The accomplishments.

With that said, everything should be past tense: Implemented, Participated, Coordinated, etc.

For example: "Provide Critical Care for a 25 bed Critical Access Hospital: Adults and Pediatrics" I read that as a job posting. If you had said, "Provided Critical Care for a 25 bed unit for both Adults and Pediatrics," then it would read as if you had done that. Make sense?

To save room, combine into one line and throw in the word 'member'..
Rapid Response Team
Code Blue Team
So, 'Rapid Response and Code Blue Team Member'

Is Epic computer charting the name of a system/software?

The following is too long. Condense it...
Participate in performance improvement/research activities. Participate in activities that promote improvement of patient care/patient satisfaction. Expand/share knowledge of nursing practice.

A bullet point should never go into a second line.

Combine these three...
Crisis Counseling
Domestic Violence Education
Safety Planning
Maybe have it read, "Provided Crisis Counseling, Domestic Violence Education and Safety Planning"

"Handling confidential client information, data entry"
Another example of a job posting. "Handled confidential client information including data entry" or something like that.

Regarding your volunteer history... If it's worthwhile, keep it in there. When I've been interviewed, it's my volunteer history that's won most people over. I've been doing it for 15 years with the same organization, I've been in leadership positions the entire time, and when they ask me about it, I get excited and love talking about it. That comes across favorably in an interview. If you think it does the same for you, keep it.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
The one thing that sticks out to me -- even though you make it clear you had a number of short-term contracts -- most of your positions lasted about a year and not much more.

I'd probably prefer to hear about why right on the resume than have that come up as a reason to justify putting your resume in a slush pile. If you're looking for a long-term position now, you need to specify that this is your goal. If not, all works well; incorporating Chimpie's ideas.

But as a potential employer, I'm gonna ask "What did you do from 2003 to 2007?" Big gap, needs filled.

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
Thanks for the tips You all! Interview went well, I'll revise and condense it, definitely incorporate the one liners that can go as one sentence and make sure what is in there doesn't sound like verbatim job description.

Thanks again!