Relocating to NYC next September

EMTVeg

Forum Captain
Hey everybody I am planning on relocating to NYC next August or September after I finish my Medic course. I am wondering how the job outlook is up there for medics. I will have about a year and a half of EMT experience by then and be fresh out of medic school. I have checked into reciprocity and that looks like it will not be a problem. I did reciprocity from Indiana to Florida and it was a bit more of a hassle and racket. I guess I have two main questions.

#1 What is the job market like in NYC?

#2 How competitive is FDNY's EMS?
I have thought about going ahead and getting my EMT-B in NY, I will be visiting a few times over the next year and wonder if it would be good to go ahead and apply at FDNY EMS as an EMT and take the civil service test so I am already in their system? Can you think of anything else or other ideas I should be doing over the next year to put me in a better position job hunting wise when I get there.

I would appreciate any advice anybody has and look forward to chatting with you all.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
The job market is okay.

Why in the world would you come into FDNY as an EMT-B? Just be a medic. Its alot less competitive as a medic

OP
OP
EMTVeg

EMTVeg

Forum Captain
The job market is okay.

Why in the world would you come into FDNY as an EMT-B? Just be a medic. Its alot less competitive as a medic

Well I won't have my medic right when I move up there. I also hear to work as a medic in NYC you have to have an additional protocols cert...how and where do I get that?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OP
OP
EMTVeg

EMTVeg

Forum Captain
How tough will taking the REMAC test be since I am not getting schooled in NY?

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
what part of the city are you thinking of living in?

LonghornMedic

Forum Lieutenant
How can anyone make a living living in NYC in FDNY EMS pay? Starting pay for a Paramedic is only $43,690!!! That is peanuts for one of the most expensive places in the world to live in. I would think you could do a lot better staying in Florida as a Paramedic.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Not sure yet, any suggestions? We would prefer to live in Manhattan but that is about all we know right now.
Depends on your budget, and place in life. if you're married with kiddos, lower east side might not be that fun for you, but if you're DINKS or a young hip person you might love it there.

i lived in: bay ridge, brooklyn (great for families), astoria, queens (great for students), upper west side (great for eating jewish food :D ), hells kitchen (great for easy commutes), lower east side (great for the "scene"), and upper east side (great access to multiple parks).

Love, love, love nyc... but in all honesty I'd say especially with kids you need to make minimum 250k a year to live there comfortably. i might get flamed for that, but that's how it is. includes eating out and $$ to get out of the city on weekends. i was paying about $800 a month just to garage my jeep... and those mofos in the garage ding'd it constantly!

if you move to queens or brooklyn, the cost of living goes way way down, without sacrificing much quality of life. different, but still awesome, and awesome in it's own way.

everyone should live in nyc at least once! there is NOTHING like it. san francisco, imho, pales in comparison. i can't wait to retire to nyc when i am an old biddy :)

How can anyone make a living living in NYC in FDNY EMS pay? Starting pay for a Paramedic is only $43,690!!! That is peanuts for one of the most expensive places in the world to live in.

be an investment banker, or have a rich significant other or rich parents!

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Manhattan is too expensive for medics unless you enjoy living in a closet. I live in Queens. I recommend that.

NYC remac is hard but are very doable.

If you have national registry, you could work in Jersey. Ny and north nj are close. You could live in Jersey and commute to NY which I also recommend.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.071720,-73.922490

OP
OP
EMTVeg

EMTVeg

Forum Captain
Will be moving up with my partner so will not be a one income family. I know it won't be cheap and have thought about the borough's

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Will be moving up with my partner so will not be a one income family. I know it won't be cheap and have thought about the borough's

also Northern Jersey? Long Island? Or Rockland and Westchester?