Reimbursement of Volunteer’s uniform gear?

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
My volunteer agency is considering our reimbursement policies. Right now we reimburse our volunteers their EMT certification course and partial uniform costs after X months with us. We provide shirts, jackets. The member is expected to pay for boots, pants, and belt on their own. Im just wondering what other organizations do.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I think the answers to this one are going to be wide and varied. I volunteered with an ambulance service in NH, they gave me two uniforms, issued me a radio and a pager and provided reimbursement for any classes. I also volunteered with a service that gave me a list of equipment that I was required to purchase.

I think it depends on the agencies level of funding and the generosity of the sitting board.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Agreed with DEMedic, very wide and varied answers are to be expected.

I volunteer with a service that reimburses the EMT course, and then will reimburse up to $250 in the first year for new members for uniform expenses upon presentation of a receipt when the person has volunteered ~167 hours ($250 at $1.50/hour).

Personally, I think the provision of uniform or uniform reimbursement by a service should really tend to vary based on whether, say, you're a service that shows up to calls in t-shirts and jeans versus, say, a Class B shirt and uniform pants. If we're talking about a service t-shirt that's, say, $20, you may as well go ahead and provide it. But if the uniform is a Class B shirt with patches that might cost $80+ per, it's a different league of cost.

A helpful solution where uniform equipment is relatively expensive is to have a good stock of used or slightly older uniform equipment from former members or members who replaced an old uniform for folks who cannot/choose not to purchase their own uniform apparel.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Our volunteer agency provides, 2 pants, 2 polos, a job shirt and a 3 season coat as well as turnouts, plus a pager. We also usually do t shirts once a year and light wndbreaker pullovers every 2-3 years

You provide boots and belt, we found there is too much a varied preference, so we just say a black belt and boots

Alan L Serve

Forum Captain
Does your EMS service charge for calls? I understand it's volunteer but this doesn't mean that you're not charging for calls. If you are charging then you definitely need to make full reimbursement for all out of pocket expenses. Make your people feel that they are taken care of. If your area is poor enough to require volunteer EMS then just imagine that any extra expense by volunteers is going to be difficult for them even if they don't admit it.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Our volunteer agency provides, 2 pants, 2 polos, a job shirt and a 3 season coat as well as turnouts, plus a pager. We also usually do t shirts once a year and light wndbreaker pullovers every 2-3 years

You provide boots and belt, we found there is too much a varied preference, so we just say a black belt and boots
Definitely makes good sense to provide everything that doesn't vary too much. I like that strategy.

res1551cue

Forum Crew Member
My previous fire department issued us 2 short sleeve, 1 long sleeve t-shirt for training. Reimbursed up to $40 for pants. Anything over that was the members responsibility. As for Class A, had to have 1 year on the department, along with completion of Basic and Advanced Firefighter. But our department paid for all training, all new gear, and we got paid per call at the end of the year. Granted this was a volunteer fire department but like others have said, I think it all depends on funding, call volume, and how good the district trustees are at caring for their people.