Refusal on possible SI patient?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Thanks @GMCmedic, I didn't think to look in the legal briefs related to Emergency Mental Health hold... good catch!

I looked at the actual brief, which says this statement:

If Colorado's state statutes consider paramedics medical professionals (in the legal sense because the brief explicitly required RNs to have training in psychiatric or mental health nursing & family therapist or a counselor with training in mental health, and doesn't group them under the title of "medical professionals") then awesome. I am curious if other states do as well, or if this is limited to Colorado.
We do not fall under that umbrella. We cannot place an M-1 mental health hold (involuntary commitment for 72 hours). No one will place a hold over the phone or radio either.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
We do not fall under that umbrella. We cannot place an M-1 mental health hold (involuntary commitment for 72 hours). No one will place a hold over the phone or radio either.
so, back to the original questions: since you have no legal authority to take someone against their will, you can't place an M-1 hold, and no one will place a hold over the phone or radio, but you frequently take people to the hospital without their consent... how did you come up with this:
It is in my guidelines which are based on the Acts Allowed as codified in state statute. Do you really think our physician advisor group (which is the largest system in the Colorado with combined medical direction), would put forth such that guidance if that was illegal?
I didn't see it in the Acts Allowed (other than the ability to restain someone is allowed for people of all levels), but you are saying you can take someone against their will based on stuff that is codified in state statute...

Since you mentioned your physician advisor group wouldn't put forth illegal guidance, have you ever asked them under what legal authority you have to take someone against their will for treatment? Because you might be curious what their response would be, and that is isn't clearly codified in the statutes as you might be thinking.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
As previously state by other posters, if a patient lacks the capability to make informed consent decisions, patients are commonly transported and/or sedated under standing orders all over the place. I’m sure other places do it differently. 🤷‍♂️