recomendatrions for resume builders

Martin95037

Forum Probie
can anyone recommend a company to review and make changes to my resume so I can apply with ambulance companies?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
EMT jobs tends to be entry level. I think it's unnecessary to have your resume done professionally. Just make sure that you are fully certified, that you have a clean background, and a clean driving record.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
can anyone recommend a company to review and make changes to my resume so I can apply with ambulance companies?
You could post your resume here and see what comments you get.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
sure.

I wouldn't pay anyone to review my resume, because often a resume is subjective. there are some hard and fast rules (no typo consistent font, etc), but as long as it has a clean layout you should be fine using one of a billion templates available for free on the web. Don't reinvent the wheel, just copy what others have done (and freely shared) and use that to your advantages

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You could post your resume here and see what comments you get.
Provided it complies with our rules about personal info and keeping in mind that we generally won't remove the post later if you decide you dont want your resume posted here.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Unless you were looking for a job as a director or a supervisor, any experience you would have in customer service and your EMT class are all you really need.

OP
OP
M

Martin95037

Forum Probie
question

the lady on the phone said dress professionally. those closes don't fit me any more and I have not had a reason to buy any for a long time. can I just go to the interview with my emt student unifrom? that entails a polo shirt with school logo, black pants a belts and shiny black boots? sounds silly, but I dont really know how to dress professionally. I just wear whatever majority of the time.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
question

the lady on the phone said dress professionally. those closes don't fit me any more and I have not had a reason to buy any for a long time. can I just go to the interview with my emt student unifrom? that entails a polo shirt with school logo, black pants a belts and shiny black boots? sounds silly, but I dont really know how to dress professionally. I just wear whatever majority of the time.
Not ideally, no. Take the time to invest in some interview worthy clothes (dress shirt, slacks, shoes at minimum(. If that is not financially viable, see if there any entities in your area that help folks enter the workforce, often times they take "formal" clothes donations and can you help you get prepared with clothing and interview prep

DrParasite

can I just go to the interview with my emt student unifrom? that entails a polo shirt with school logo, black pants a belts and shiny black boots?
Please don't. please please please don't.

As Tigger said, invest in some interviews-worthy clothes. You can get a men's dress shirt for $10 at Kohls

while you are shopping, get a tie too, but don't spend more than $12 on it.

Dress pants are a little more expensive, but you can pick up a cheap pair, at least something you can wear to an interview.:

get some dark colored dress socks, to go with your black dress shoes. Shoes are a little harder to find on the cheap, but you get a pair and only wear them for special occasions. I prefer loafers because I don't want to deal with laces. you can order online, or find a discount shoe store.

I provided kohls links (each to the specific section, and the most budget friendly should be at the top) because I have shopped there in the past (and they have good sales), but you can go to your local store if you don't have one nearby. I get most of my socks from Costco, and the clearance section can be your friend for those rarely worn clothes.

NomadicMedic

You can also buy slacks and a dress shirt at a low cost store like Ross or TJ Maxx.

A collared shirt, dress pants, a belt, solid (not white) socks and shoes (NOT boots or athletic shoes) should be a minimum for an interview.
If you canning find a collared shirt, an unadorned polo shirt, tucked in to pants, is acceptable.

Being able to follow directions is an important part of the interview process. When I ask candidates to bring documents with them and dress appropriately, failure to do either of those will not provide a favorable outcome.

OP
OP
M

Martin95037

Forum Probie
Ok fine, I am just going to accept the fact that I am going to look like politician or a crummy lawyer (liar) for a short while.

NomadicMedic

Ok fine, I am just going to accept the fact that I am going to look like politician or a crummy lawyer (liar) for a short while.

Stop acting like a child and dress in the manner the interviewer requested.

And for what its worth, both politicians and attorneys traditionally wear suits.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Look at it this way...your first impression at your interview goes a very long way in an entry level job interview. If you aren't willing to put forth the effort to manage that impression, why should an employer believe your effort on the job is going to be any better?

DrParasite

you do realize that many politicians make 6 figure salaries, right? and crummy lawyers have doctorate degrees? Maybe you shouldn't be talking down about them?

and you only need to wear it for a few hours, and only for special occasions... at my old job, I needed to wear dress pants, a button down shirt, a tie, and dress shoes every day, for a non-public facing office job... you will survive dressing up for two hours for an interview.

and I love shopping at https://www.rossstores.com/ but the selection changes by the day.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Ton of worthwhile advice here from very seasoned and knowledgeable professionals. Absolutely go purchase an "interview uniform" which you may wear to hopefully many different interviews and obtain a job. Do not wear your student uniform.

Many online sales to find appropriate clothing if on a budget. Even Goodwill has some amazing finds. It may take repeated trips, or travel to others within your area, however there are many nice, affordable clothes to be found there. And you could even BORROW something from family/friend who is similar size. (FYI, I got married in a borrowed suit)

And find yourself a decent pair of shoes! Do not come in with slacks, a button up and then finish it off with a pair of sneakers. Make sure you have decent looking, clean shoes. Again, they do not have to be perfect fit or cost a ton of money...hit the Goodwill or yard sales. Only need to "suffer" through a couple hours.

And I will close with my pet peeve. Always, always doublecheck your work. Spelling, grammar, punctuation. It ALL matters. And yes, this is just some online EMS forum you found, and for the most part we are casual. However, when you have typos in your title, typos in your post, poor sentence structure, poor grammar...all of that reflects negatively. We all judge, even when we try not to. I already judge you as not following any of the advice based on your post presentation and follow on comments. I will give you the benefit of the doubt, which sucks, cause that means the doubt is there.

Use this place to always do your best, to practice writing and communication skills, and to improve your chances of landing a job and then growing within EMS.

Good Luck!