Really Quick Question

Cory

Forum Captain
Is 3,723 calls in a year considered very active? And do you think logically that a city (suburban) with predominately very rich citizens would have higher pay rates for EMS than a large city (like huge suburban) with predominately dirt poor citiznes?

And I would shoot myslef if a I was an EMT/Paramedic in my hometown (one square mile, about 2 hours away from nearest hospital). So do you think if I am someone who is generally hyper and genuinely interested in getting as many calls as possible, do you think I should work for a busy department?

Guess that wasn't so quick. The first question was what I'm really after.

Thanks
-Cory-

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Busy would not be how many calls for the service but how many calls per ambulance.

As to pay the best pay I get is in a poverty stricken area as they have decided proper medical care is more important than other wastes that many richer areas choose to have.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Is 3,723 calls in a year considered very active?

Depends on how many ambulances are being staffed. If there is one ambulance 24/7, then that would be an average of ~10 calls per 24 hr period. Which I would say is moderately busy keeping in mind some days you might get 20 calls and other days just a few.

And do you think logically that a city (suburban) with predominately very rich citizens would have higher pay rates for EMS than a large city (like huge suburban) with predominately dirt poor citiznes?

Depends on the service. A town/city/county may pay more and have better benefits compared to a private, for-profit service. Is it all career or combined system with volunteers and career. What is the cost of living? Some parts of the country do not pay as well as others.

So do you think if I am someone who is generally hyper and genuinely interested in getting as many cllas as possible, do you think I should work for a busy department?

I think so. The more calls that you are exposed to, the more chances to learn and become better. You will see more variety and learn more on a 911 response unit. If you work on a transport ambulance, you will get a lot of exposure to medical calls/chronic conditions and geriatric patients.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

Forum Captain
Five life squads. 2 on reserve status. Three in service 24/7. I live in a part of Ohio that is VERY diverse, and each area can vary drastically between dense population and small population. I have a lot of options as far as fire departments. There are lots of townships, and the towns are all fairly small, with the exception of some large urban areas. Mutual Aid is what most FD's do around here.

The reason I consider this city is 1.) absolutely beautiful city, with huge houses, well developed areas and nice suburban districts. 2.) it has the most amazing fire facilities I have ever seen. 3.) pure appeal. It is the rich people neighborhood. It is far from where I live now, but I will not live in my parent's house forever (I'm not even out of hs yet) :p

And then, there is Cincinnati. The big city around here. It has a the first FD in the nation, and it has a VERY large area to cover. There is a lot of crime there, and shootings are constant (I would never get out of an ambulance there without a cop there with me) But it totaly fits the standard of a busy department. And it has been a dream job of mine for many years.

The problem: The Cincinnati FD isn't hiring any new people possibly for years. HUGE deficit. :sad:

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Go busy..it's always a good time but no complaining when ya get those nursing home transports :>)

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
busy would be a personal interpretation. Like I mentioned in another thread it will depend on the distance to a hospital and other specialized resources (trauma center, stroke center, etc.) If an average call takes you out of service for 2 hours then yes 10 calls a day is pretty busy. If an average call takes you out of service for 30 minutes that means you actually work for 5 hours in a 24 hour shift, not so busy there.