Reading textbooks before classes start

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Do you (personally) take notes?

If you do, do you reference them throughout the course?

If you don't, do you still feel as though you have a decent understanding of what's going on when you get to class?

With medicine I'm having trouble retaining information from classes for the first time in my life. I love it and I want to do well, but I never really established good study habits while in school because, frankly, I didn't need to.

How do you folks retain information? How do you study? What kind of notes do you take and why? What goals do you set for yourself when reading textbooks?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Ill tell you what has worked for me personally. All through college and paramedic school, never and i mean never did i bring a book in or take notes. If you need notes record the lectures. Pre-read the material prior to class. Actually listen to the lecture and apply it to what you have already read prior to class, instead of missing half the lecture while your taking notes. It really is amazing how much of the material you can lose if your not engaged in the lecture and sitting there taking notes.

WickedGood

Forum Crew Member
I am the opposite. I take notes like a fiend. If I don't my ADD takes over and I don't pay attention to what the instructor is saying. I may never look at my notes again but just by writing down what the professor said helps me retain the information. I also found that reading the chapters before class really helps me as well.
I have spent my entire life compensating for my ADD and I remain unmedicated today. So my coping mechs might not work for everyone, but this is what has worked for me.