Rare "Emergency" encounter

John E

Forum Captain
Had an interesting semi-encounter last night.

Those of you old enough to remember the show "Emergency" will probably also remember that it was a primary reason for hundreds if not thousands of people to become EMT's and Paramedics.

The lives of Johnny Gage and his partner Roy DeSoto were made exciting and entertaining, mostly due to the show's producers ongoing relationship with the Los Angeles County Fire Dept. and their Paramedic program. I work regularly with retired Paramedics and Firefighters who were consultants on the show.

In the ensuing years, Randolph Mantooth, who played Firefighter/Paramedic Johnny Gage has stayed involved on the outskirts of EMS, he's a popular speaker at EMS conventions and he has helped raise a boatload of money for the L.A. County Firefighters Museum. The actor who played his partner, Kevin Tighe has kept a much lower public profile.

So last night I'm in my local independent bookstore, I look up and sitting at the same table is a face that I recognize, it's Kevin Tighe, or as he's better known to some of us, Firefighter/Paramedic Roy DeSoto. I argue internally whether or not to say hello to him cause I'm one of the many people who ended up becoming an EMT at least partly because of his show. I now work in the entertainment industry as a Set Medic and I'm usually pretty good about being around celebrities, I'm also aware that Tighe apparently doesn't like being in crowds of people or having a fuss made over him. At any rate I'm just about to give him my regards when another customer walks up and asks him if he's an actor, Tighe responds that he is but that he's trying to read, the other guy sorta fades away after that and I decide not to follow up on my plans to say hello.

I'm kinda kicking myself for not just quietly thanking him and moving on. If I ever see him in there again, I will.

Just a brief semi-encounter that I enjoyed even without the personal contact. I've always thought that Tighe never really got the credit he deserved for his acting, not only on "Emergency" but in other roles he's had. In particular he did a guest appearance a couple of years ago on "Law and Order: Criminal Intent" that was really great. He played a doctor who kills some of his own patients. Hope I get another chance to tell him how much I've admired his work and how at least one role he played influenced another person.

That's it.

John E

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
That's sweet. I hate the kicking yourself feeling of not following through on a gut instinct.

At least you were trying to respect his wishes.

I like him better knowing that he likes to read enough to shoo away a fan!

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Nice story, so this one is for you :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C3c4Dn3UgQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I would have been squealing like a fangirl if I'd been in your place :p

OP
OP
J

John E

Forum Captain
Yeah...

I have to respect the reading bit too. I've been known to get my head inside a book on occasion.

Thanks for the video clip, ironic that the characters playing the Docs were listed first in the credits.

Randy Mantooth tells a great story about how the whole show came about. Well worth listening to if you ever get a chance to hear him speak. We owe a lot to R.A. Cinader and Jack Webb.

As I wrote above I've been privileged to work with a bunch of the L.A. County Paramedics who were advisors and who worked on the show, including a couple who were in the 1st group of Paramedics trained in L.A. County. The station now located on the Universal Studios Lot is still called Station 51 in honor of the show.

We get a lot of flack here about the current state of things in EMS, talking to guys who were around when the whole thing started helps keep it all i perspective a bit.

I met Mr. Mantooth at an EMS convention in 2009, hope I get another chance to pay my respects to Mr. Tighe.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
John e,
I think a lot of how this encounter might have turned out is in the approach. He might have been more receptive to someone who came up to him and thanked him for inspiring his career choice and definitely knew who he was vs. someone who comes up to him and says "hey aren't you famous or something". But this can be said for most things in life. Then again he might have just said so what, let me read my book.

As for Emergency, me and my kids both love it. We are working our way through season 5 on DVD and will soon be getting season 6.

For those with netflix you can get a bunch of them through instant.

Cynthia

Forum Ride Along
What bookstore were you in? I'm in your area every so often and if I see him I would like to offer my congratulations on helping to inspire others to go into the same field. Do you think that he lives in this area or maybe just visiting because of the holidays? I really admire the man. Please tell me the name and city of the bookstore so I can say thank you.
Thanks,
Cynthia

AustinNative

Forum Crew Member
You know, I grew up watching Emergency. Every episode Dr. Brakett whipped out the Old School defibrillator, and cranked some joules into some poor vfib, and it worked EVERY TIME!!! 100% success rate. Not once did anyone on the show get puked on, either. Sweet.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
One of Brown's friends is in the same SAG chapter as Randy Mantooth

.. and yes they may have 100% conversion rate with VF but, did Emergency! use the Utstien template? :D

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I watch Emergency! pretty much every weekday; it's on at 3pm on the RTV network (Retro TV).

I've learned some interesting things about that show. For example, the character Mike Stoker was the actor's real name, and that actor, Mike Stoker, actually was a real L.A. County FF/engineer at the time. This is the character that drove Engine 51. The creators of the show felt the engine driving would seem more realistic if it were driven by a real engine driver. Plus, it was cheaper, both on the insurance and in training, to just get a real FF to do it as opposed to a specially-trained actor. He retired from L.A. County as a Captain over a decade ago.

I think I agree with citizensoldierny. In this kind of situation, you could just go up to him and mention quickly, "Hi I'm an L.A. County FD paramedic and just wanted to say that Emergency! inspired me to become what I am today, and I just wanted to thank you for your part in that. I know you don't like people to make a big deal about that but I just wanted to mention that; I'll let you get back to your book. Thanks again, take care!" In other words don't really try to start a conversation, or ask if he wants to talk, just quickly say the main point, thank him, and bye-bye. If he wants to say something he'll say it as you're turning away, but since you are turning away by that point, only a jerk would say he just wants to be left alone because that's already what you're trying to do, is leave him alone.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
You know, I grew up watching Emergency. Every episode Dr. Brakett whipped out the Old School defibrillator, and cranked some joules into some poor vfib, and it worked EVERY TIME!!! 100% success rate. Not once did anyone on the show get puked on, either. Sweet.

The hospital is still there. I've transported there many times, but still haven't been able to track down Brackett or Dixie...

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
He probably keeps a lower a profile because he's had more success in his other jobs, I would think, compared to Mantooth. He probably gets recognized all the time for his recent work on Lost. God knows the fans of that show are used to looking for the tiniest clue, they can probably spot him from 3/4 of a mile.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
LOL can you imagine them going code 3 down the street today? :p

I can't remember anyone in the actual episodic show ever wearing turnout pants.

BTW, any fan of Emergency! will no doubt like my current signature...

Patient: "Oh, more medical mumbo-jumbo designed to confuse the layman!"
Dr. Brackett: "Yes sir, but please allow me to say it; I spent most of my youth learning the proper pronunciation!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Wild_Weasel

Forum Crew Member
How serendipitous, I just bought Season 1 of Emergency which includes the 2 hour pilot. This show also inspired me to become an EMT.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
JJR512,
They wore turnout/Bunker pants at night usually without the coat though. Searching around I guess the use of bunker gear was still considered controversial by some.:rolleyes: Here's a link to a thread that might give you some insight into how things were being done up until recently in some parts of Cali. I'm sure there are more out there though.
http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36384
Reminds me of the saying "centuries of tradition unbound by progress"

Last edited by a moderator: