questions

evilspacemanspiff

Forum Ride Along
Hey, Im not a student but i did have questions about being a ems. Its always run through my head, since i was a kid, to be a doctor, or to be an Paramedic. Now of course, its time to figure out what i want to do for the rest of my life. I wanted to know how the lifestyle goes. My girlfriend really doesnt want me to be a doctor, becuse of the rediculus hours of work and debt i would have, plus i dont have that kind of money. The thought of becoming an ems has poped back in my head. shes afraid that i will have no time to have a family life, we wont be able to travel ever and i will constantly be on call to go out. If i became a careere ems, not voulenteer, i would like to know how your guy's lives are, how much time do you spend working, how much time you get off, how much you get called into work. I tried explaing to her, that at least in our city, not much happens here, maybe one or two major house fires a year, the most of it is just run of the mill stuff. we have two fire depts here both with ambulences, and our hospitle employes emts. none are voulenteer. most of the emts here are also firefighters too, so it seems to me, like they wouldnt be called in that much for ems works, since there is usually 10 guys who are all emts. im also worried about family life, and how it effects you guys.

thanks very much!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
EMS isn't so much of a career as it is a lifestyle. Many of us work multiple jobs, and/or many hours at one job to make ends meet. We love what we do... but we often work a lot.

If you are with a paid service, you will likely not be "on call" you will either be on shift, or off. Of course, if someone calls off, or the world ends (9-11 et al) your work will probaby call you and want you to come in to work.

Many times, we work long shifts, and/or wierd shifts. Examples being shifts that rotate 3 days on, 2 days off, 3 nights on, 4 nights off, and then back in the next day. There are also EMS agencies that run peak-hour "Power shifts" from 2p-2a et cetera.

Vacations? a rotating, 12-hour shift schedule can actually work out nicely for vacations... you are off for 4 days already... take 36 hours off and you are off for 9 straight days. Of course, many of us work other jobs in our off time... another ambulance co, etc.

Anyway.... I've made a lot of generalizations... if you have any questions, please ask.

JasonA

Forum Probie
I have a question...

From your post is sounds like EMTs dont get paid a whole lot. Is that true most places in the country? I was told that my local EMS pays "B"s $25.00/hr with benifits, and it is a smaller...uh, unit? Only like 8 crews and two rigs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey, Im not a student but i did have questions about being a ems. Its always run through my head, since i was a kid, to be a doctor, or to be an Paramedic. Now of course, its time to figure out what i want to do for the rest of my life. I wanted to know how the lifestyle goes. My girlfriend really doesnt want me to be a doctor, becuse of the rediculus hours of work and debt i would have, plus i dont have that kind of money. The thought of becoming an ems has poped back in my head. shes afraid that i will have no time to have a family life, we wont be able to travel ever and i will constantly be on call to go out. If i became a careere ems, not voulenteer, i would like to know how your guy's lives are, how much time do you spend working, how much time you get off, how much you get called into work. I tried explaing to her, that at least in our city, not much happens here, maybe one or two major house fires a year, the most of it is just run of the mill stuff. we have two fire depts here both with ambulences, and our hospitle employes emts. none are voulenteer. most of the emts here are also firefighters too, so it seems to me, like they wouldnt be called in that much for ems works, since there is usually 10 guys who are all emts. im also worried about family life, and how it effects you guys.

thanks very much!

Take an Emergency Medical Technician - Basic class. This is a semester long course you can take through college, EMS and/or Fire dept. agency, vocational school or anywhere else they offer it. Becoming an emt doesn't take long and will teach you everything you need to know about EMS. You can then decide if you want to pursue EMS as a career, volunteer, or drop it all together. If you choose the latter, you will still have great skills in emergency care and first aid for the rest of your life.

If you choose EMS as a career, say bye bye to the BMWs and six figure salaries. You won't starve, but you sure as hell won't be rich either.

It's like any other job and usually around 40 hours a week. I'm paid and volunteer and I'm never on call at home. Where you live, it may be set up different.

Medical doctors have to work very hard through both undergraduate and medical school. Money is the least of you worries here. Most doctors pay off their student loans after medical school. They make a lot of money and thus are able to pay of their debt quickly and in no time are driving around the BMWs.

EMT and Paramedics usually consider themselves borderline poor at all stages in their career.

Family life isn't that stressful and usually they love hearing the war stories even though they know most of it is bull crap anyway.

JasonA

Forum Probie
Sorry for kinda high-jacking your thread, Spaceman. :p

I started taking my EMT class thinking I didnt want to continue in the field. Now I am starting to think it may be an option. Plus, girls love EMTs. ;)

Guardian,

So EMTs generaly make a pretty average salary? My dad makes $Mid-5 digit a year, which some people think is poor. But we live really well. How does that compare to a Medic/Intermediate?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Sorry for kinda high-jacking your thread, Spaceman. :p

I started taking my EMT class thinking I didnt want to continue in the field. Now I am starting to think it may be an option. Plus, girls love EMTs. ;)

Guardian,

So EMTs generaly make a pretty average salary? My dad makes $Mid-5 digit a year, which some people think is poor. But we live really well. How does that compare to a Medic/Intermediate?

It's all over the place. I know a Fire lieutenant/paramedic who makes over 90K after working significant overtime. My ems supervisor makes 70K after also working significant overtime (60 hours a week). Paramedic can usually start around just over 30K or equivalent after adjusted to cost of living in a particular area. With this level of income, you're going to have trouble living a traditional life with 4 kids and a stay at home wife.

I for one am working to change this and want to see more educational requirements in ems such as degrees. Then maybe that coupled with shortages and we can get a pay raise like the nurses did.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

thanks very much!

Welcome to the site. First thought is to take some writing and English classes. Hard to read your one paragraph.

If you are that worried about family life, and time away, then I highly suggest not to do it. I can assure you I work double the hours of most physicians, and I do not know of many professional medics that don't, if you are talking length in hours.

As well, I honor your dedication to family time etc.. but, do realize you will probably working majority of holidays, week-ends, and dependent on shifts night time. I will fore warn you, just because they do not appear busy, that might be even worse. I much rather work at a busy service and leave, then not be too busy and be on call and have fewer days off for myself. Remember on call means you cannot leave the area, interrupted dinner and other *stuff.
As well, look at the pay, growth and potential at all careers.

You are wise to evaluate your career choice carefully.

Good luck!
R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
2 words: physician's assistant
another 2 words: Registered Nurse

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I have a question...

From your post is sounds like EMTs dont get paid a whole lot. Is that true most places in the country? I was told that my local EMS pays "B"s $25.00/hr with benifits, and it is a smaller...uh, unit? Only like 8 crews and two rigs.
This seems VERY high... higher than some medics I know make... I'd be concerned that this is either:

1. Incorrect Information
2. That something "less than legal" is going on - al la medicare fraud/
3. That the service is draining their reserve funds.

The ride will probably be cool while it lasts... but be sure to have a backup plan. (And don't get too used to living on $25/hour).

JasonA

Forum Probie
I am going to guess I read more into that than there was. The manage said that was for people that were on-call to fill in for full-time people when they needed time. So I will guess that probably doesnt have any kind of benifits.

So...I if I want to continue in EMS, I had better be ready to work ALLOT. If I dont, I have to go to college/and/or jobs that I really dont want to do. Crap...

The other option was military, they only make ~$20K a year, so I guess I shouldnt be too worried.

wyandoteastemt

Forum Ride Along
I am not able to speak about the pay for being an EMT but i can discuss the family life aspect. As a volunteer squad, we are on call 24-7. that means in the middle on thanksgiving dinner when a neighbor has heartburn-i am leaving my family. When my kids go to bed and it becomes mommy-daddy time and someone is having difficulty breathing-I am leaving. Don't get me wrong-I LOVE BEING AN EMT. It runs through my veins like nothing ever has before. But, we are a small community and when someone calls, we have to be there. My family is okay with all aspects of my EMT life. My husband has trouble with it when I come home from a nasty accident and we knew the person or family involved. He does not like to see me upset. I can handle myself very well and get the job done-after we transfer care to the hospital-I sometimes become a mess if I knew the people involved in the crash. I am learning to take things in stride but I guess that is one of the things you never really can get over---helping those that you know. We have less than 850 people in our community and we know just about everyone. Please take care making your decision to become an EMT. Don't do it for the money-do it because you care and want to make a difference.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am going to guess I read more into that than there was. The manage said that was for people that were on-call to fill in for full-time people when they needed time. So I will guess that probably doesnt have any kind of benifits.

So...I if I want to continue in EMS, I had better be ready to work ALLOT. If I dont, I have to go to college/and/or jobs that I really dont want to do. Crap...

The other option was military, they only make ~$20K a year, so I guess I shouldnt be too worried.

whats wrong with college? You can do EMS and go to college. Why not get an associates degree in EMS. Become a medic.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
2 words: physician's assistant
another 2 words: Registered Nurse

I think it's actually "Physician Assistant". The 's implies you belong to the doctor. PAs are somewhat sensitive to this.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I only know of 2 colleges in Cambridge, do you go to one of them?

There are at least 5 universities in Cambridge that I can think of. Perhaps more. I do go to one of them.

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
Go to college. Get your emt-b. If after taking several electives, you want to still be in health care, well good for you. Do what you love. You have plenty of time to decide. Take the emt class and if you love it, consider becoming a paramedic. Take some courses in whatever and do well.