Question reguarding EMT-B Employment in NorCal/West Nevada/South Oregan

Nelg

Forum Crew Member
Haven't posted in a while, so figured I'd start my first one in months as a question. Now, as the title says, I'm just curious as to rather or not anyone knows who generally hires EMT-Bs more with a new NREMT from out of state. I know that there are a lot of EMT-Bs, and I know that there are a lot of opinions about going Paramedic then looking. That being said, I want to work as a basic for a while, get some experience under my belt, and go for Paramedic further down the line. Looking at Resume editing that can fit an EMT-B to boot.

That being said, appericate any and all feed back

Edit: Forgot to mention that I was looking into getting extraction certs as well as a FF1/Fire Science degree here soon, and finishing up an AA in Law Enforcement Admin. Also looking at a cert to teach First aid and CPR with the Red Cross. Wilderness EMT, ect, any cert I can get. I'm always willing to learn

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Keep in mind, that to even apply you will still need to shell out money to the state EMS offices in the places you're looking in. But other than that I have no idea

OP
OP
Nelg

Nelg

Forum Crew Member
Ohh yeah, I knew that... Not looking forward to it, but soon as I fly back in the state, was going to get that going.

I did some figuring for the California side and was not looking forward to dropping that figure I came up with, but something I know is a nessicary evil.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
No one in the Reno/Tahoe area uses Basics unless your going to fire, but even then RFD and SFD are mostly if not all Intermediates. As far as outlying rural areas I am not 100% sure about them using Basics but I would be willing to bet they do as last week on a rotation in the ER we had a crew from Lyon county come in with a guy with SVT with an Intermediate as the attendant.

The company in Reno uses Basics for standby events but currently they are not hiring. SEMSA in Susanville runs B/P trucks, but I personally would hate living up there. 4 prisons...no thank you!

The fee for a NV cert isn't bad. 10$ but that isn't an Attendant License, just a certificate, which should suffice for applications.

Here's the link to the form for the NV EMS Application
http://health.nv.gov/PDFs/EMS/Forms/EMSCertificationApplication.pdf