Question about North Carolina EMS

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I know that years ago state legislature put the responsibility soley on the Counties, and that is why we see County based EMS all over NC.

All over the Country we see FD takeovers and NC seems to be one of the few affected, my question is: Has there been any talk or push on state legislature to drop this law? Push from either the Counties or the Fire Departments?

Thanks

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Why is this a bad thing? (I'm not saying one way or the other, but I take it you think it's not a good thing).

Here in one of my counties, the townships are responsible for Fire/EMS, but some are too poor to afford their own squad/medic. I work for 8 townships that have pooled their money to form an EMS department, but for fire, they have their own departments (mostly). In one of these counties (my district crosses county lines, twice), there are only 2 EMS departments, but about 8 different fire departments (one of the FDs has their own EMS unit).

Why would making each department have their own EMS unit be a good thing?

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Why is this a bad thing? (I'm not saying one way or the other, but I take it you think it's not a good thing).

Here in one of my counties, the townships are responsible for Fire/EMS, but some are too poor to afford their own squad/medic. I work for 8 townships that have pooled their money to form an EMS department, but for fire, they have their own departments (mostly). In one of these counties (my district crosses county lines, twice), there are only 2 EMS departments, but about 8 different fire departments (one of the FDs has their own EMS unit).

Why would making each department have their own EMS unit be a good thing?

I didn't really understand your post, but my thread's question was concerning the EMS law in NC. If your asking me if I like the way things are in NC, well yes. I believe in a Seperation of Fire and EMS, BUT that is not what this thread is about and there are TONS of threads on here that are about that. I see that you are from Ohio, are you able to answer my questions about NC? Maybe you lived there before?

Last edited by a moderator:

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I know that years ago state legislature put the responsibility soley on the Counties, and that is why we see County based EMS all over NC.

All over the Country we see FD takeovers and NC seems to be one of the few affected, my question is: Has there been any talk or push on state legislature to drop this law? Push from either the Counties or the Fire Departments?

Thanks

Did you mean to write "unaffected"? I think the medical directors in NC, especially Dr. Myers, have a lot of clout on the state level. I believe he would flat out tell the legislature that a move towards Fire-controlled EMS would lead to a sharp decline in the quality and effectiveness of the service. Whether or not this is true is debatable, but I can see him saying that. I believe we have a WakeEMS senior chief on the forums as of recently. He may have something to say about it if he reads this thread.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Did you mean to write "unaffected"? I think the medical directors in NC, especially Dr. Myers, have a lot of clout on the state level. I believe he would flat out tell the legislature that a move towards Fire-controlled EMS would lead to a sharp decline in the quality and effectiveness of the service. Whether or not this is true is debatable, but I can see him saying that. I believe we have a WakeEMS senior chief on the forums as of recently. He may have something to say about it if he reads this thread.

Yes that is what I ment to write.

So no rumors of scuttle butt in reference to Fire Dept unions or the IAFF lobbying state legislature to make a change?