Question about EMT certification in another state (CA to AZ)

lanceavil

Forum Probie
I'm moving from CA to AZ, just passed my NREMT. I was trying to find more info but I really don't know where to look. Is it possible to just take my NREMT cert and take the state exam in AZ when I get there, or do I need to get my CA card first? Would there be any issues since I went through the program here in California? I just want to know because I don't want to fork up an extra $140 for my state card if I don't need it. Has anyone moved from CA to AZ, and can explain the process to me?

Thank you :D

Edit: With a bit of research, I found this:

The Bureau of Emergency Medical Services & Trauma System certifies Emergency Medical Care Technicians. Included with each initial application you are required to submit copies of current National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians registration for the level of Arizona application being submitted; and an authorized right to work in the United States document, such as a birth certificate or passport.

I'm still a bit confused as to whether there would be a problem because of me going through the program here in CA and not AZ. I read on a list somewhere (can't find it now) that I needed my NREMT AND state card from the other state, along with a refresher course.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
lanceavil

lanceavil

Forum Probie
Just wanted to give an update in case anyone is looking into it, I called the ADHS EMS/Trauma department in AZ, they told me that with the new structure (EMT instead of EMT-B, AEMT instead of I85 or I99, Paramedic instead of EMT-P) as long as my card says EMT, it's pretty much used across all state lines now. Less confusion for everyone lol. So I just take my card, and fill out an application, pay the fees, ect and I get it. No reciprocacy issues or any of that.

nickhaps

Forum Probie
Fax paperwork and NREMT certs to AZDHS and then take a refresher course in AZ within 6 months and then you should be good.

luna1990

Forum Ride Along
which refresher course would we have to take? do yo have any recommendations? im only asking since im about to go through this struggle as well. ill be moving back to az and im about to take my nremt.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
which refresher course would we have to take? do yo have any recommendations? im only asking since im about to go through this struggle as well. ill be moving back to az and im about to take my nremt.
You do realize that neither of the posters in this thread have been around for over 8 years, correct? Hopefully some of our active members will be able to answer your question, or you could contact AZDHS and see what they say.

luna1990

Forum Ride Along
Yes, I do. I still responded since I’m looking for an answer and maybe someone will see this and respond but I am also doing my own research. Thank you.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I have a paramedic license in Arizona. I think I just had to show them my NREMT and tell them which company I was going to work for. They gave me the Arizona license for free. It's one of the easiest licenses I have ever gotten. I didn't have to take any refresher. The Arizona people are very good about answering e-mails and phone calls too.

luna1990

Forum Ride Along
I tried reaching out to
One and she had me going around in circles lol so I was like eff this hahaha .. thank you so much for this info. I hope they are as easy with me as they were with you! I’m trying to avoid me feeling like a deer caught in headlights. I’m just waiting to be able to take my nremt and then I’ll be moving back. I appreciate your response ❤️

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Unpopular opinion here: inability to navigate state licensing mechanisms (not necessarily an inability to pay for them, which is a separate issue) is a predictor for success in the field.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Try navigating Nevada: they told everyone to send in recert early this year (Mar 1st for 31st renewals) or it wouldn't be processed in time.
I sent mine in January 15th and I am still waiting. I did receive an e-mail stating that I can work until I get the actual cert, but it is in processing.

Last time it took until April the following year and still expired the following March