Quake in Japan, Tsunami Warnings in US

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/11/japan.quake/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

An 8.9-magnitude earthquake hit northern Japan on Friday, triggering tsunamis and sending a massive wave filled with debris that included boats and houses inching toward land.

They're evacuating parts of Hawaii already, and are predicting damage to the west coast of the US. I know we have a few people on the boards from Hawaii, so hopefully they're alright, and can give us an on-the-ground update when things settle down.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Northern california is on a tsunami warning and may start evacuating some areas. Souther California is on a tsunami advisory (which means that all the beaches are closed). Tsunami is supposed to hit Hawaii at 0255-0300 which is 45 mins after this post.

Hockey

Quackers
This video is incredible

[YOUTUBE]o8OJbPZ211o[/YOUTUBE]

Firetender hope things go as smooth as possible for you out there

OP
OP
HotelCo

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Firetender hope things go as smooth as possible for you out there

This. Post here when you're able to, letting us know you're okay.

The same goes for anyone else living in the path of the tsunami.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I hate the American news. They just repeat the same thing 500 times.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yeah. From what the news said Hawaii might get hit soon. I just wanna find out what happens to Hawaii then I'm off to bed. Almost 3am here

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
And then 1m and below for the California coast line.

Hockey

Quackers
Is there usually this many quakes all over the world in the same time frame? I understand aftershocks, but there are tons it looks like here in the US all of a sudden and globally

OP
OP
HotelCo

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Is there usually this many quakes all over the world in the same time frame? I understand aftershocks, but there are tons it looks like here in the US all of a sudden and globally

The earth's plates are constantly shifting, so they're frequent, but most go unnoticed by the public... As I understand it.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader

Yes, the 'list of quakes' is always full.

Sent using the Tapatalk app!

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ring_of_Fire

That area has constant earthquakes, most of which are either too remote or too small to be felt. If you look at the map on Wikipedia you'll notice that the majority of the earthquakes on the USGS website are along that "ring".

Hockey

Quackers
Volcano in Indonesia is erupting now

I just heard that this quake was 100X more powerful than the Hati earthquake. But if you look at a lot of the videos and photos, it shows the strength of Japanese building to withstand an earthquake compared to the structures in Haiti. There is a LOT of damage, but if they didn't design their infrastructure to withstand earthquakes, it would be even more worse

Last edited by a moderator: