Promotions in EMS

johnmedic

Forum Crew Member
I apologize, this post is going to seem self-serving, but I couldn't find any similar threads & this could be an interesting conversation to have!

I love my job, I love my system, but my current position isn't the end-game.
We all have future plans for new degrees certs to change systems & scopes of practice, I'm hoping to get some feedback on how to move up in EMS.

I'm currently preparing for a supervisor position which may be opening up within my agencysoon. Fire Departments are their own animal & I have a good handle on promotions in that system, however I'm currently with a large EMS Transport-Only agency & am wondering if anyone has any advice on what makes a good supervisor candidate better. The corporate structure hasn't been my focus until recently.

In particular I'm looking for good classes, degrees, certs, etc. for the long&short term, but really any advice is welcome!

Thank you! :)

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
hmmm, what makes a good supervisor candiate..... 4 year degree, masters degree is even better. 10 years experience in the field, 5 years with the current company. written test to guage knowledge of supervisory stuff. minimal complaints from patients, minial complaints from current supervisors. does research about job outside of scope (ie, thinks outside the box to get stuff stuff done), but doesn't break too many rules, and those who stand with their people during chaotic times, and who are good, knowledgable, clinical providers.

who typically gets promoted in EMS? those who suck up to the bosses, those who have been there for 20 years or threaten to go to HR or file a discrimination lawsuit if they don't get promoted, those who suck up to the bosses, those who are willing to stab their fellow employees in the back or walk over their backs in order to get ahead, those who suck up to the bosses, those who bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: their way through anything when the bosses are around, and lastly, those who suck up very well to the bosses

there are some good supervisors and supervisory systems in EMS, but in my experience there are much much more poor supervisors and grossly incompetant supervisors who BS their way through an interview and then end up doing a horrible job when they actually get in the position.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
A degree may or may not matter so much it depends on your agency and type of role your looking into. For instance at my last agency we had operation supervisors with bachelors degree's but also some with no degree's at all, only a vocational Paramedic certification and "experience." Some position did mandate a degree such as "Education officer" and "ALS Field Supervisor."
Check out the link in my signature, there is a lot of good programs out there to help you get a degree in EMS and advance. If your current agency wont appreciate it or require it, do not worry... Another agency gladly will if your willing to relocate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic