Prince William County VA

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I see this Department job post a lot,

Anyone work for them or have any insight? Pay and benefits looks good for a Medic. From the LOOKS of things good equipment, can't find anythign tos ee if protocols are up to date, do they particpate in research or studies? I have seen them in a lot of EMT and Medic books. 46Young, you out there?

RUABadfish002

Forum Probie
I see this Department job post a lot,

Anyone work for them or have any insight? Pay and benefits looks good for a Medic. From the LOOKS of things good equipment, can't find anythign tos ee if protocols are up to date, do they particpate in research or studies? I have seen them in a lot of EMT and Medic books. 46Young, you out there?

Base pay is about 50k for medics, but that goes up drastically once they have completed their internships and become released providers.

Protocols were updated a couple of months ago.

Not sure what you mean about participation in studies.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Base pay is about 50k for medics, but that goes up drastically once they have completed their internships and become released providers.

Protocols were updated a couple of months ago.

Not sure what you mean about participation in studies.

THanks for the response,

What I mean is do they actively particpate in research of EMS related field studies?

RUABadfish002

Forum Probie
THanks for the response,

What I mean is do they actively particpate in research of EMS related field studies?

I believe so, although im not sure which studies specifically. Information from the Toughbooks is compiled and recorded for research. No clue where it goes from there.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I believe so, although im not sure which studies specifically. Information from the Toughbooks is compiled and recorded for research. No clue where it goes from there.

DO you work for PWC? Can you tell me abit more about them how many units, where can I find a copy of their protocols, room for upward advancement? What is the retirement like?

Thank you,

RUABadfish002

Forum Probie
DO you work for PWC? Can you tell me abit more about them how many units, where can I find a copy of their protocols, room for upward advancement? What is the retirement like?

Thank you,

Yes i work for the county.

I only have 2 posts so i cant post links yet, but i can link you to a copy of our protocols when im allowed to. I will try to PM them to you if this site allows me to.

Are you looking for a list of just the transport units or all apparatus including suppression pieces? We have 21 stations so there are quite a few pieces of apparatus in service. In terms of transport units we staff 2 BLS ambulances, and 12 ALS medic units.

One of the best things about PWC is the opportunity to move up the ranks in a timely fashion. We are eligible for a promotion 2 years after our date of hire (doesnt mean you will get it...but still). 2 more years and you are able to test for a Lt's position as long as you have an AA. 2 more years and you can test for a Captain's spot. Obviously people dont just move up with ease like that, but the fact that you are able to is a huge plus. Our county is growing rapidly and so is the department, so there are promotional opportunites available.

Our retirement is solid, but im not well versed in that topic so it would be difficult for me to speak on it.

Upon being hired, you would go through a 5-6 month academy before going out into the field. We do not hire single role medics. Medics get major preference when being considered for the job though.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Are most of the stations still volunteer-only at night? I remember that being the case when I looked at the department.

RUABadfish002

Forum Probie
Are most of the stations still volunteer-only at night? I remember that being the case when I looked at the department.

Not necessarily. All of the county medic units are staffed by career personnel 24 hrs/day, 7 days/wk.

Some of our engines and specialty pieces still have daytime only career coverage though.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That might be a hidden gem. I'd like to see the protocols too.

Too bad it's on the East Coast :p

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Is there a figurative for your retirement, or a online calculator somewhere?