PHI interview and hiring process.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry all, I have to be "that" guy.

I tried searching but:

1. Search on tapatalk is always wonky

2. PHI tends to turn up protected health information

Anyway, what can you tell me about the interview and hiring process?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Sorry all, I have to be "that" guy.

I tried searching but:

1. Search on tapatalk is always wonky

2. PHI tends to turn up protected health information

Anyway, what can you tell me about the interview and hiring process?
No first hand experience, man, sorry. PHI only has one or two bases in California that are way north of me, and they require a living-distance-to-base radius.

I would imagine it's a panel style interview. Maybe a critical care style test, and/ or interview scenario as well. That's what one of the majors out here does (did?) prehire.

The other major program did, or does, a phone interview, then had/ has a day where they invited all of their candidates for whatever particular base was hiring, and went through testing and the selection/ narrowing down process from there.

Have you asked any of the PHI folks in your region? I find these guys and gals to be the most direct and helpful.

OP
OP
G

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Have you asked any of the PHI folks in your region? I find these guys and gals to be the most direct and helpful.

Their really arent any. The closest base is two hours southeast and rarely come up to our area. The next closest are the 5 bases 3 hours north. They never come down here. AEL dominates this area

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Most written tests are basically old CCRN/CCEMTP exams.

OP
OP
G

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Guess i have some more studying to do.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
HEMS interviews are all the same:

1. Written test
2. Panel interview
3. Skills test
Most written tests are basically old CCRN/CCEMTP exams.
Right, but for non-ICU paramedics with the "3-5 years of 911" street paramedic only experience these tests can be somewhat overwhelming. I know it was for me.

For the record @GMCmedic, even out here the programs seem to keep most things under wraps with regards to "pointers" for these types of interviews. @Remi is right in that (ultimately) they boil down to the same format, one after the other. Again, the programs out here don't necessarily mirror one another, but have similarities.

Try reviewing critical care materials, and perhaps like @Chase mentions, get a hold of some CCEMT-P test questions. The rest of it really is your "sell".

I'm also willing to bet @akflightmedic has some interesting pointers to add to the mix in this thread.

OP
OP
G

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I have pdf copies of what PHI basically gives their employees to study (written by orchid lopez) as well as 2 practices tests and the FP-C comprehensive.

For all i know the test they administer will come straight from those to practice exams.

Ive been study pretty regularly for the last month or so. I imagine ill be be a little bit ahead of your average street medic.

OP
OP
G

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Interviews dont bother me. I can sell myself pretty well. It really is the test. I have been studying but I dont feel very prepared. I wasnt planning in applying this early but I cant pass up the opportunity to get in on the start up of a new bas3.