PCP vs EMT

Sera

Forum Probie
I'm taking my primary care paramedic (pcp) course next week (sask, canada).. was just wondering what the difference between that, and an EMT is? Is there a difference? Was also curious to know how many more responsibilities a advance care paramedic has compared to a regular EMT.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
BEorP said:
Sorry to take so long to reply to this thread, I am a Paramedic student in Toronto and school keeps me very busy these days. Hopefully you're still considering the move, or at least someone else will find the info useful. I will do my best to let you know a bit about EMS in Ontario. Keep in mind that this info may not be entirely correct as it is all coming from the top of my head. If there is a point where details matter I can check it with someone who knows for sure.

In Ontario we have three levels of EMS providers (not including First Responders):
- Primary Care Paramedics: two year college education (although always open for debate, this is probably around the level of EMT-I)
- Advanced Care Paramedics: after getting work experience, an addition year of education (generally considered equivalent to your EMT-P)
- Critical Care Paramedics: more education after experience, mainly used in flight but Toronto may be using some for ground critical transfers but I'm really not sure

To put it bluntly, an EMT-B cert means nothing in Ontario and will not give you the ability to challenge the EMCA exams (the exams that you need to write to become a PCP).

If you are an EMT-P then equivalency has much more potential. Although it may take a bit of work, I know for sure that it has been done in the past... as long as you really do have the skills and knowledge of an ACP.

Almost ever single service is paid (I do not know of any volunteer services, but regulations regarding them are mentioned in the Ambulance Act). In the areas you would be looking to move (Southern Ontario or the GTA) the services will be paid for sure.

I believe the average hourly wage for a PCP in Ontario was around $28 CAD last year (don't quote me on that) so it is a decent wage, especially compared to what I have heard about EMS pay down south.

That's all I've got to say for now... if anyone else wants to know more I will try to actually check this thread in the near future, or you can PM me for me email
- http://www.emtlife.com/showpost.php?p=25985&postcount=16

From what I've heard - the PCP course is more intensive than a stateside EMT-B course... you will learn IV skills, as well as probaby some basic medication administration and perhaps electrcal therapy (defibrilation).

Jon

OP
OP
Sera

Sera

Forum Probie
primary care paramedic.. 2 years in Ontario?
Here (saskatchewan) the one I am taking this Monday..it is only 20weeks..300 and some hours. wow I wonder what if that's right?
the advanced care paramedic here is 2 years..
hmm:unsure:

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
Sera,
I'm a First Responder in Alberta Canada. I know the systems are different - even in two provinces, but here's a brief rundown of the system.

Medical First Responder (MFR) (Non-regulated, 48h) (Stateside - AFA? (HELP!?!?))
-Standard First Aid
-Airway Management (OPA, NPA, BVM, O2, Suction)
-Spinal Immobilization (Basic extrication, KED, long and short spine boards)
-Anatomy and physiology
-Emergency childbirth and miscarriage
-Drugs (ASSIST with: epinephrine, various asthma medications, insulin. Can Administer: Oral ASA)

Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) (Regulated, 85h) (Stateside - MFR/EMT-B)
-All MFR skills, plus:
-Basic traction splinting,
-Blood Glucose testing,
-Drugs (See MFR and can administer oral glucose)

Emergency Medical Technician - Ambulance (EMT-A/PCP, Regulated, 260h) (Stateside - EMT-I)
All EMR Skills and:
-LMA's & Combitubes,
-IV Therapy,
-D50W Solution
-Entonox Therapy,
-3-Lead ECG monitoring
-Advanced Extrication
-Antishock trousers
-Various Symptom Relief Medications (exact not known)

Emergency Medical Technologist - Paramedic (EMT-P/ACP, Regulated, 2Yrs) (Stateside - EMT-P/CCP)
All EMT Skills and:
Lots of fancy ALS stuff that I don't have the energy or patience to list...

I hope that helps you!

colafdp

Forum Lieutenant
in saskatchewan SIAST changed the name from the EMT to the PCP a few years ago. Even though according to Sask Health (whom we're registered to work in the province by) we're still EMT's. There are things that the PCP's in Ontario may learn, however but you won't. Stuff like IV Initiation, and such. The reason you won't learn that here, is because we have the ICP course. But you will learn about SQ and IM injections, and epi and all that, but will not be able to use those skills, as our protocols don't allow for that. Hopefully will change someday.

Sineath02

Forum Lieutenant
Sera is beautiful....who cares if Canada has free healthcare and a younger drinking age. COME TO AMERICA AND DRINK BEER WITH US!:rolleyes:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Drunken posting?

Really....

OP
OP
Sera

Sera

Forum Probie
annnywayys..:blush: :wacko:

thanks Kendall n coladfp =) makes sense now!