Only in EMS

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
What quirky things have you noticed only in EMS? Mine:

1. When signing on to the radio at 7 PM, night units always say "Good morning," and "Good night" when they sign off at 7 AM.
2. You know how your shift will be depending on the moon.
3. You spend more time with your partner than with your significant other.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
when you see flaching lights go by you say to yourself "get ready"
you have considered (or have) slept on the cot in the back of your office.
your office has an oxygen bar.
you get excited over the weirdest things.
i have more but i'll wait.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
being able to discuss things like amputations, incontinence, vomit, etc. while eating and not gag.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Got to love those EMS folks!

Looking at people's arms and thinking "Hmmm....... I bet the medic could get a 14g in there!" :p Or when you listen to the radio traffic and and know every tone that is played out! ;)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Looking at people's arms and thinking "Hmmm....... I bet the medic could get a 14g in there!" :p Or when you listen to the radio traffic and and know every tone that is played out! ;)

Oh that cracked me up.. I've often met new people and while shaking hands thought... "Nice veins!"

My boys, when they were kids, used to warn friends about sleepovers... Conversation at the dinner table could be interesting, and then the middle of the night tones.. freaked out more than a few newcomers.

Hastings

Noobie
I'm going to "third" the checking out veins on everyone to judge how easy they'd be to stick. I don't know a medic who doesn't.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
OMG I always check out ppls arms to see how easily I could get the vien!!
Also second the discussing vomit, amputations and such while eating and not gag is another for us!
Checking everyones pupils. Not sure why but it is a habit hehe
There are more but can't think of them on the spot!

MDKEMT

Hastings

Noobie
OMG I always check out ppls arms to see how easily I could get the vien!!
Also second the discussing vomit, amputations and such while eating and not gag is another for us!
Checking everyones pupils. Not sure why but it is a habit hehe
There are more but can't think of them on the spot!

MDKEMT

I've actually found pupils to often be an extremely inaccurate vital sign unless the condition is already obvious, like a drug overdose or a head injury.

MedCoast Ambulance

Forum Probie
how about blurting out a DX when passing people by (at a fast food location)

COPD

ped edema

My wife is an interior designer but thanks to this bad habit she can spot chf

it is second nature, almost like turets

Am I the only one?

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
I can pretty much tell which sirens/air horn is ours, I don't know why but every one elses sounds diffrent hahaha.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I can tell my friends if that siren is the ambulance or fire engine. My friends in EMS know exactly what I mean when I tell them im too tired to go out, busy 24 the last night. No one else gets it. My partner and I can rip on dispatchers for hours.

"The existence or non-existence of a location is of little importance to dispatch"
So so true.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You folks are giving me flashbacks!

After doing a lot of event standbys and lifguarding (and working correctional), scanning for people likely to get into trouble, ways to get in and out, and where to direct a unit in through using your radio.
Oh, and for us "pre-Tenelec/tone" OG's: whenever you hear a school bell on TV or at an old school, you start out of your chair, maybe reaching for your bunkers.:blush:

MedicAngel

Forum Crew Member
how about blurting out a DX when passing people by (at a fast food location)

COPD

ped edema

My wife is an interior designer but thanks to this bad habit she can spot chf

it is second nature, almost like turets

Am I the only one?

No your not the only one. Because I work on the med/surg and telemetry ward, we see a lot. My daughter, who was an EMT as well, we would be standing in line and she would bump me and say "Oh bet he has diabetes" or "yea, COPD and they smoke". My husband rolls his eyes if he hears us.

Lyss

Forum Probie
I know every tone for the entire county.

Can tell the difference between a fire siren, police siren and ambulance siren.

Know the best way to cut apart almost any vehicle on the market.

Can't watch ER with the family anymore.

I know what dispatchers are on by their sign-on number when they come in service.

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
like every one else i know all the tones,
i sometimes dream megacodes
and to the nth degree got to love the vains

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
1. ...can you break a brake disk in half and still respond to the next call.
2. ...do you get human road cones, i haven't seen them for sale at the shop though.
3. ...can you come up with the following for a pedestrian code who also presents with an amputated limb: "he would have lost his court case anyway, he didn't have lag to stand on".
4. ...can any industructable product to put to the test and proved to be destruble, if it has not been lost.
5. ...can you get sick notes for free (on that point, you can't quote "Ghonophalangetic Spolly Melanchotic Panclenititus" as a diagnosis for being of sick).
6. ...can you NOT use the excuse of: "There was a motor vehicle accident on the way to work, thats i am late", as your employer would most likely have known about it.
7. ...can you get someone phoning the superviser at 2am on a sunday morning just to ask if he still has (had now) an interview on monday.
8. ...do you expect to also have other normal civilian services (Mon - Fri 8 - 5)to be on working 24 hours, so that you can carry on with your daily duties.
9. ...

However:
10. ...do you get someone on the other end of the line who is coming to help you out in your hour of need to help you out, 366, 24/7 a year, going the extra mile, no matter the circumstances, and doing so with smile on their faces and not/never expecting a "thank you" in doing so...

Last edited by a moderator:

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
Oh yes! Every person I meet, I assess the possibility of an IV, what gauge, level of difficulty, etc. And, pointing out frequent fliers to newbies and referring to them by the usual call reasons. We also use the EMD determinant system up here. IE: calls are given a number/letter designation to let us know what kind of illness/injury to expect. Our usuals are 29D (traffic accident with serious injuries) , 17A (fall from standing or lower height with no other complaints), 6D ( Severe respiratory Distress), 10D ( Cardiac chest pain), and the one that usually makes and poop just a little, 9E ( Cardiac Arrest).

So, we have frequent fliers that usually have the determinant followed by their name. IE: 17A Joe. ( This being an example of an FF we routinely see for falls).

My partner and I were actually sent on a 6D for a Pt that had taken too much of his Vick's inhaler. He met us halfway down the driveway.

mikie

Forum Lurker
I'm always spotting out the nearest AED at an airport......maybe that's just me

6. ...can you NOT use the excuse of: "There was a motor vehicle accident on the way to work, thats i am late", as your employer would most likely have known about it.

-funny & true!

Last edited by a moderator: