Okay, I already Know The Answer...but

Cory

Forum Captain
Do all FD EMS require a minimum of Firefighter 1 certification? Or are there ones out there that don't? (prays)

I don't mean to be so vague, my point is, do YOU know of one?

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Some departments operate transport units staffed with fire fighters, and some have ems divisions that are just emt or medic.

My district is staffed with ff's on ambo's. Some districts have seperate fire and ems divisions. So the answer is yes and no depending on where you are.

8jimi8

CFRN
And some departments will hire you on and train you. But i think you go farther in the interviews if you at least have some of the basics already.

Epi-do

I see dead people
At the fire department I work for, all of our ambulances are staffed by "civilians" - in otherwords, we are EMS providers, but not firefighters.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
This is totally up to the agency. There are those who differentiate between their EMS service and their fire response teams. But, most agencies want to be able to utilize their personnel as thoroughly as possible. My question would be, why would you want to be a part of a fire department if you don't want to do fire training? Better to focus on an EMS only system.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
This is totally up to the agency. There are those who differentiate between their EMS service and their fire response teams. But, most agencies want to be able to utilize their personnel as thoroughly as possible. My question would be, why would you want to be a part of a fire department if you don't want to do fire training? Better to focus on an EMS only system.

Because in many places to go FD is the only way for decent pay, benefits and retirement. Not saying it's a good thing, but it is the unfortunate truth in many areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

detox187

Forum Ride Along
It really does depend on where you live and how the city operates. Most paid ems providers in volunteer fire departments aren't required to be firefighters, but in a lot of big cities it is a requirement.

Not to say that it can't/doesn't happen in the reverse, but the firefighter 1 isn't that hard to attain.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Because in many places to go FD is the only way for decent pay, benefits and retirement. Not saying it's a good thing, but it is the unfortunate truth in many areas.

I understand that the pay is often better in a fire based service, my husband works for one. I just puzzle over people who get a cert expecting to be paid for a skill with absolutely no idea of how the local job market is set up. Just because they prefer an EMS only system doesn't make it so. Was there no research at all done prior to the completion of the training and creating an expectation of employment?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Go to www.firehouse.com , pay the fee, I think it's like three months for 7 bucks or something, and then access their job search engine. They have categories for all sorts of positions. You can search for EMT/paramedic EMS only, FF/EMT or medic, or FF only. You can search state by state.

I used it for Fairfax County and also Charleston County EMS.

Just have your parents put the fee on their credit card, and then you can search to your heart's content. The job posting will generally tell you the age requirement, any necessary certs, job description, salary range, benefits, and typically has a link to that organization's website.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, most if not all of the major depts in the MD/DC/Northern VA region will allow you to test for the position with only a GED, clean driver's license, 18-19 Y/O, no drug use for 1 or 2 years, no significant criminal Hx.

Some depts to check out would be D.C. Anne Arundel Co, Prince Georges Co, Howard Co, Montgomery Co, Annapolis, Baltimore, Fairfax County, Prince William County, Loudon County, and Stafford County. You can also check out Phoenix, or various depts in Cali.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Also worth mentioning is that there's a LOT of competition for FF/EMT positions nowadays. In fact, many have been flocking to public safety, EMS, and healthcare after witnessing massive layoffs and a bleak job market after the recent economic meltdown.

The FF/medic position has significantly less competition. Some depts will either ask for FF 1/2, or train you in their own academy, but will have you ride the ambulance exclusively, so they can classify you as a FF to include you for FLSA.