NYS EMT Reciprocity

cbm4590

Forum Ride Along
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but has anyone else had difficulty getting NYS A-EMT reciprocity? My license is from Utah. I understand that they have a different A-EMT system but after sending in all the required paperwork and having Utah send in their form confirming my certification, NYS took 7 weeks to get back to me and once they eventually did they requested things that weren't in the original instructions. These things included my course syllabus, my instructor writing a letter stating that no more than 49% of my course was online, a "proof of need" letter of NYS employment and a letter stating why I want to be a NYS EMT.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
. These things included my course syllabus, my instructor writing a letter stating that no more than 49% of my course was online, a "proof of need" letter of NYS employment and a letter stating why I want to be a NYS EMT.
I believe the second of these is covered in the reciprocity packet (education cannot be >49% online for NYS, which is nuts, in my opinion...). However, I am not aware of any requirement for a course syllabus, proof of need, or a letter as to why you want to be an NYS EMT.

The course syllabus *may* be related to the unusual scope of practice for an NYS AEMT, which includes, in the collaborative state protocols & in their gap analysis vs. national standards, orotracheal intubation for adults (something they have talked about - rightly - removing) and needle thoracostomy. Looks like Utah is also out of sync with national standards, but in the sense of having *more* scope (e.g., benzos, needle d).

I strongly suggest you put in a call to the NYS BEMS office to understand their ask, they are usually helpful...if a bit surly.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
These things included my course syllabus, my instructor writing a letter stating that no more than 49% of my course was online, a "proof of need" letter of NYS employment and a letter stating why I want to be a NYS EMT.
IIRC, NYS requires you to have a reason why you need to be an EMT in NYS. I am pretty sure I needed to submit that information when I got mine. otherwise, they would be given everyone a card. if you have a job that will require you to be an EMT, that works. if you are going to volunteer with an agency, that works. the course syllabus is to ensure that your training (which can change year after year) lines up with their training expectations, esp if they aren't familiar with their program. Plus it's easier for them to have you do the work vs them do the work for you (typical of government bureaucrats).