NY to California Question (NREMT)

mistertheatre

Forum Probie
Hi,

Earlier this year I earned my EMT-B certification, in NY STATE.
I'm relocating to Simi Valley, California next summer and I'm having a tough time finding some answers to questions that I have about NREMT. Wonder if you all could help?

I basically don't know what my next step would be, although I'm sure I will need to apply for NREMT--so that I can work in California. ? My other question is what happens to my NY STATE EMT-B Card? Does NREMT certification void that out in a way? and will I have to also, on top of NREMT, become certified in California?

Thank you, in advance, for any clarity you can give...:wacko:

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
It's alot simpler than u think, you must first of all get your nremt , and from there you can apply to be certified with the county, which is accepted statewide. if I recall simi valley is Ventura? County cert involves fingerprinting, background etc. from there you can apply wherever you please.

You'll also need ca drivers ambulance cert, in which you will get to meet everyone at the glorious DMV

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
Ventura County is very easy. Get your NREMT and that is all you will need (other than fingerprinting).

Here is the EMT application packet, it has everything you need in it.
They may ask you to complete a skills test (there is a company in Simi Valley that will do it. I think its called EMS Training Institute), but the State EMS office says that an out of state EMT-B certification can be used to show competency at the discretion of the county.

http://www.vchca.org/docs/emergency-medical-services/emt-certification-packet_jul_2012.pdf?sfvrsn=0

If you have any questions, let me know. I live in Ventura, am familiar with the area and can help if you need anything.

Last edited by a moderator: