NREMT Cert as State Cert

JAM-EMT

Forum Crew Member
If you get certified with NREMT, can it act as a state certification too?

I live in Ohio and am planning to move to Louisiana, so advice for either state would be helpful.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Depending on the state, you will have to provide your NREMT Cert plus your Cert of Class Completion. The state you're applying in will likely take those and give you a seperate state card...at least that's how it works in AZ and CA.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Depending on the state, you will have to provide your NREMT Cert plus your Cert of Class Completion. The state you're applying in will likely take those and give you a seperate state card...at least that's how it works in AZ and CA.

In some states (like WA), you will also have to take the state written test but will not have to redo the practical stations.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
In our district the local MPD will also have you take a protocol test

firecoins

IFT Puppet
check the Dept of Health's website in the state your moving to about reciprocity. Often you just send an application, give copies of your certification, pay a fee and possibly take a test.

mdtaylor

Forum Crew Member
Louisiana requires you to be NREMT current.

La. Reciprocity Application said:
1. Applicant must be 18 years of age.

2. Attach copies of the following documentation:
a. High School Diploma, or GED Equivalent
b. Enlarged (3X3) Driver’s License with clear photo and readable text
c. Current State Certification (if applicable) with readable Name, EMT Number, and Expiration Date
d. Current National Registry Card with readable Name, EMT Number, and Expiration Date
e. Current BLS/CPR Card
f. PARAMEDICS must also submit ACLS card
g. Certificate of Completion from EMT Training Program

3. Be sure to sign and date your application.

If Ohio requires NREMT then get certified in Ohio first. You will be taking the test in more familiar surroundings. Then, move to La and get certified there. It's just paperwork, and you will then be certified in two states.

From http://www.dhh.louisiana.gov/offices/?ID=220

OP
OP
JAM-EMT

JAM-EMT

Forum Crew Member
Louisiana requires you to be NREMT current.

If Ohio requires NREMT then get certified in Ohio first. You will be taking the test in more familiar surroundings. Then, move to La and get certified there. It's just paperwork, and you will then be certified in two states.

From http://www.dhh.louisiana.gov/offices/?ID=220

I think thats what I'm gonna do. Thank y'all for the help.

Do you have to get certified in Ohio separate from NREMT or would they use that certification as basis for state certification too?

Last edited by a moderator:

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
I'm pretty sure you have to take that state's test don't you? I believe that is they way it is here in NY.