Newly certified EMT-B looking for job in LA County

Frogurt

Forum Probie
Halp?

I've applied to Americare, Med Life, AMR, SIX FLAGS(lame?), aaaaand I think that's it? Are there any other reputable EMS companies hiring in LA county that I missed? I saw a few listings on Craigslist, but I don't exactly trust them.

Thanks for the help. Glad to be part of this forum.

danjncoop

Forum Probie
Look at Gerber, McCormick, Scahffer, Care, and Doctors. They are all reputable companies and they all run with fire, as I am sure you want to be a firefighter like every EMT. I worked for Americare for almost two years and they run with OCFA and Santa Monica fire. I now work in the ER at Kaiser Harbor City and am going to start the academy with Long Beach Fire as an Ambulance Operator. Best of luck. Any questions just ask.

OP
OP
F

Frogurt

Forum Probie
Look at Gerber, McCormick, Scahffer, Care, and Doctors. They are all reputable companies and they all run with fire, as I am sure you want to be a firefighter like every EMT. I worked for Americare for almost two years and they run with OCFA and Santa Monica fire. I now work in the ER at Kaiser Harbor City and am going to start the academy with Long Beach Fire as an Ambulance Operator. Best of luck. Any questions just ask.

Don't most of those require at least six months to a year of experience?

Bowers hires every month..

Yeah, I saw they're hiring in Long Beach and Lake Forest, but it's way too far from the AV.

danjncoop

Forum Probie
No you can get hired at any of the aforementioned companies without experience. However, experience is a major plus even if it's at a strictly IFT company. I got hired with Americare with no experience at all. It's a waiting game. Just stick with it!

OP
OP
F

Frogurt

Forum Probie
Alright, that definitely helps a lot to know that. Thank you.

I assume the ol' send-application-in-harass-hiring-manager would work? :D

danjncoop

Forum Probie
I know McCormick hires off employee referrals so if you know anyone there ask them to give you a good word. IMO McCormick and Care are the most legitimate EMS companies in LA/OC County. Also, look into volunteering at a hospital like St. Marys in Long Beach. I don't what your career goals are but ambulance experience and volunteering is a good way to start.

OP
OP
F

Frogurt

Forum Probie
Unfortunately, I only know people on Bowers, Americare, and AMR. Hopefully they value employer referrals as much as McCormicks.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

blastereosloud

Forum Crew Member
I have worked for Bowers since November 2011 and have my pros and cons about them. Sadly, I wish I could say the big takeover from Rural Metro has done us worlds of good, but that's yet to be seen for the most part. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy working there, just a lot of politics and drama (but hey, that's EMS). We (to my knowledge) still have the Vernon FD contract with talks of future fire contract bids but I'll believe it when I see it. I personally suggest if you get hired with Bowers to get on a CCT car like me. I learn a lot more and you have an RN (all of them are really good and cool people), to ask questions to so you can learn more as opposed to all the nonsense BLS transports we do. If you can't get on an RT or ALS car. We also run a lot of NICU/PICU transports which are cool to do as well. Good luck to you.