New Semester

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Well it's that time again! New probies and students... Here is some sample pics of the pulmonology lab for the online Paramedic program I am teaching. They are starting Cardiology and Medical Emergencies this fall.

PulmonologyLab1.jpg

Cadaver lungs, nothing can be more impressive than to see the real things in action.,

Pulmonologylab2.jpg
\We have a few of the auscultation mannequins that provides different adventitious lung sounds as well as heart tones to be able to distinguish.

So far they are grasping good and have a long semester ahead of them, I am proud of their achievement so far.

Epi-do

I see dead people
That mannequin sounds pretty cool. Wish we had had something like that during class. As for the lung lab - that was one of my favorite days in class. The only difference was we had pig lungs instead of cadaver lungs. We also had hearts that we were able to dissect.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I would love that mannequin. All of our organ labs were sheep, except for we also had pig lungs and trachea.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Cadaver lungs, nothing can be more impressive than to see the real things in action.,

That's one thing that's impressed me about gross anatomy. It's one thing to see the idealized images in Netters or on Primal Pictures. It's completely different thing to be able to feel the organs, see in 3D the actual size and spatial relations of organs, and seeing all of the different variations present (size, texture, location, course).

Also, due to the Essentials of Clinical Medicine course, I'm now an advocate for standardized patients versus practicing on fellow students. SP experiences are awesome.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I LOVE these kinds of labs. They're extremely instructive for students, and why I prefer having cadavers vs. substitute animals...

As an aside, when you get a chance to see the structures through a 'scope... in vivo, you'll see that things are a little bit different than what you're used to seeing in dissection...

fiddlesticks

Forum Crew Member
wow how cool that would have been to have cadaver lungs to "play" with. we had the mankin in school but the lungs would have been neat B)

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
It's completely different thing to be able to feel the organs, see in 3D the actual size and spatial relations of organs, and seeing all of the different variations present (size, texture, location, course).

Don't forget sticking your fingers through the heart valves to reinforce the pathways of blood, tugging on muscles to watch their action, and comparing the texture of veins vs. arteries.

I've been fortunate enough to have participated in 7 cadaver labs for various classes, and each time I'm astounded by how much there is to be learned. My favorite experience was holding a human heart that was larger than a football and just smaller than a basketball. My instructor for the lab, a physician and member of the state Anatomical Board, said it was the largest heart he'd ever seen.