New EMT, thinking of relocating

Tunnel Cat

Forum Probie
I'm about to be a new-minted EMT in Texas (skills testing this week then NREMT then I'm done), thinking of using my license to leave town, hopefully somewhere on the west coast. Does anyone have any experience with this? Some questions:

1) I've heard practicing in Cali is weird, because you need both a state license and maybe additional license/training depending on where you are in the state. I can't find much information on this, does anybody know?

2) How would applying for an EMT job in another state work? Is it even doable? I'd presumably have to get my license for that area first but can I even successfully look for a job far from home? I'm assuming at some point someone will want to actually see me in person if I do.

3) Does anyone have any suggestions of particularly good places to work, groups to work for? My main concern is just not living around my hometown/state my entire life so I don't need much, but I love to SCUBA dive which is why I'm looking for someplace near the ocean and preferably warm.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
The West Coast is not a great place to go into EMS.

California is low-wage, oversaturated and very limited in medicine. Enjoy minimum wage.
Oregon is slightly better, but as a Basic, you're still spending dollars and making dimes and paramedic school is a more challenging admission than Texas. Degrees are required for advanced providers.
Washington is low-pay for Basics and very heavily oriented towards competitive fire medic positions.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
What Rocket said. Actually, Texas is one of the better places for EMS. I can certainly understand wanting to move though. The only places on my radar would be CO or OR. I don't know how OR is for basics though.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I've thought about Colorado, but I have it pretty good here and I'm not really eager to move again, particularly to an area that doesn't have the same amenities and the wide-open Texas standard of care. I honestly really love my job, and although I miss the mountains and seasons, I enjoy life here.

OP
OP
T

Tunnel Cat

Forum Probie
Thank you for the advice. I'll keep it in mind, but I really do want to get out of here. I'll widen my search, keeping CO and OR in mind. Looks like some decent jobs in OR or WA. I'm even tempted to look at Hawaii. Still happy (desperate, even) to hear suggestions.