Mercy performs 1,000th open-heart surgery

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Fairfield Echo - Fairfield, OH

Thursday, June 09, 2005

They call him Mr. Grand, as in one-thousand.

Robert Jones, a resident of Connersville, Ind., finished a nearly weeklong stay at Mercy Hospital Fairfield as its 1,000th open heart surgery patient just as he started it: chatting away and telling stories.

Despite the fact that just a few days before, doctors had performed a quadruple bypass on the 76-year-old’s pumper, Jones was sitting up, television remote in one hand and heart-shaped pillow in the other.

He didn’t know it at the time of his surgery last Thursday morning, but Jones would be yet another milestone at the Cardiac Cath Lab at the local hospital. The occasion didn’t have all the bells and whistles of the 1,000th customer to walk through a hardware store, but after the surgery, Jones said he felt pretty special.

“They said I’m a pretty good patient, and I reckon I agree with them,” Jones said with a chuckle. “They didn’t offer me any compensation, but everyone seemed to be pretty excited about it.”

Read more here

Robert is my wife's paternal grandfather, so this is one news story that's close to my heart.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by SafetyPro@Jun 15 2005, 01:27 PM
Fairfield Echo - Fairfield, OH

Thursday, June 09, 2005

They call him Mr. Grand, as in one-thousand.

Robert Jones, a resident of Connersville, Ind., finished a nearly weeklong stay at Mercy Hospital Fairfield as its 1,000th open heart surgery patient just as he started it: chatting away and telling stories.

Despite the fact that just a few days before, doctors had performed a quadruple bypass on the 76-year-old’s pumper, Jones was sitting up, television remote in one hand and heart-shaped pillow in the other.

He didn’t know it at the time of his surgery last Thursday morning, but Jones would be yet another milestone at the Cardiac Cath Lab at the local hospital. The occasion didn’t have all the bells and whistles of the 1,000th customer to walk through a hardware store, but after the surgery, Jones said he felt pretty special.

“They said I’m a pretty good patient, and I reckon I agree with them,” Jones said with a chuckle. “They didn’t offer me any compensation, but everyone seemed to be pretty excited about it.”

Read more here

Robert is my wife's paternal grandfather, so this is one news story that's close to my heart.
Aww, he sounds like a cutie. :)

Glad to hear everything went well.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Great article and good to hear he's doing well :)