medication scenario

ndilley

Forum Crew Member
just got this scenario wanting to see if anyone is good with prescription drugs..Im having some trouble with it

59 y/o female. upon arrival she is drowsy but is able to say she just "feels funny" No one is around to give a hx and she is difficult to obtain one from. You see numerous prescription meds, no OTC meds... She go tricor, naicin (B3), paxil, captopril, asa, xanax, and vit C.

questions include what if any are other uses (other than indicated) for taking any of these drugs...and what is your initial thoughts about the pt. ("diagnosis")

i should have the answers some time next week but just curious to see what you guys (and gals) think...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
How does she "feel funny???" I've seen the side effect of niacin where it gives you an uncomfortable hot flash type thing, for minutes to hours after taking it.

My next thought is the Xanax... it is a benzo, like ativan.... check the filled date, the dose, and how much is left..... If needed, give romaizcon (i think that is right drug... been awhile)

otherwise... what is her vitals.... what does she look like on the monitor???

OP
OP
ndilley

ndilley

Forum Crew Member
all i have is what i gave...its for a pharmocology class..teacher said she just wanted us to "think outside the box" about things...no vitals or any other info were given

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Vitamin C messes with your sex hormones...estrogen, progesterone, prolactin... don't know if that'd make you feel "funny" though....

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
First thing that would come to my mind is the Xanax.. like Jon said.. a benzo with sedative effects. And also, what if those meds have nothing to do with the pt's. current state? Is she hypoglycemic maybe? Sounds like a trick questions so Im curious to know the actual answer from your instructor.

OP
OP
ndilley

ndilley

Forum Crew Member
well professor talked about the scenario in class today. It was actually a real pt. and the pt. was taking to much paxil. four pills instead of one however b/c of all the cholesterol meds they hooked her up to a 12lead found her to be having TIA's. Women sometimes present MI's without normal substernal chest pains they just "feel funny" so guess that the extent of the scernario.