Marijuana Pharmacology - FOAMed Video

Paramedic Resource

Forum Crew Member
In preparation for the upcoming major decriminalization of marijuana in Canada this year I set about reading everything I could get my hands on to really carve out my understanding of it.

I figured I would share my findings in video form. Would like to know what you think of it and especially if you believe I have erred in any way on my findings. Readings are slim on the subject, and there's a whole lot of quackery to wade through. Here's what I came up with:

What do you figure, did I hit the mark? Do you have additional references to better round out my findings?

Cheers all

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Nice work. Just a couple of thoughts since it has been legal here for quite a bit.

Standard dose should not exceed 10 mg in a single dose, new users should start with 5mg or less. Tourists seem to love to take more than one edible since they don't feel the first one for a good bit, then BAM!!! all at once. Dosing is based on THC and CBD, which as you stated does vary based on different strains and products. High THC/low CBD products are associated with increased anxiety and paranoia, which for some reason pot tourists seem to think they need to start with high THC strains. Strains sold now are much higher in THC than those decades ago.

Large doses can cause respiratory depression, especially so in small children. I have yet to see anyone over the age of 4 get intubated and any adults requiring BiPAP, but we have admitted quite a few cases to the PICU. I have only seen these when kids get into their parents stash, not from any of the parents who give their kids marajuana derived products for seizures or cancer. Typically they return to baseline in 2-3 days.

Immunocompromised patients should never inhale/smoke marajuna, there are fungus strains that can grow out in their lungs (we seem to see this the most with teenage oncology patients). While I would never advocate for using marajuana medically, we do have risk limiting discussions including safety being higher with edibles than smoking in these populations.

OP
Paramedic Resource

Paramedic Resource

Forum Crew Member
Thanks very much for the additional info! I most definately did not run into any readings on the items you mentioned. Really helps round out my understanding of this substance, wish I was able to get all this info before posting the video... all of those point are absolute gold. Especially the pediatric respiratory depression, that’s really interesting, I wonder what the mechanism is

Cheers!