Looking for a good watch

Mario1105

Forum Probie
Im looking for a good watch to buy ill be starting Emt-B class January 4th and im not sure of a good watch to buy any suggestions would be great thanks :)

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
any watch thats comfortable should work, i personally like the watches with the second hand, it seems easier for me to get the pulse while looking at the second hand.

I have a nice watch that has the analog + Digital display underneath. i think they have watches that have pulse timers on it, maybe someone else can answer that question.

but honestly there isnt really a "special" watch that EMT's wear

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Just go to Walmart or another grocery store and buy any watch under $20 and has a second hand.

No need to spend more considering that watch will be used, abused, vomited on, dunked in water, crushed, etc etc etc.

dhaage

Forum Crew Member
I personally prefer one of the sub $20 armitrons at walmart, it has the time in a chrono format, date and day of the week with a seconds display also. Cheap and easy to clean.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I would never wear a watch that cost more than $25 for the job. As long as it tells time and has a second counter, I am good.

You watch will be used and abused and it is best to always buy and wear something you could care less about.

OP
OP
Mario1105

Mario1105

Forum Probie
thanks all for the feedback ill be sure to pick up something cheap and with a second hand just wasnt sure if there was something out there to make it a little less stressful :)

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I have an expensive (well to me) watch that I wear everyday I received as a high school graduation gift. Always hated wearing watches, but taking out your phone for a stop watch with a pt. is no good.

I would love to have a watch that had a mini stop watch where you could push a button and it starts a little second hand for a 30 second timer. I'm sure they make them, but I haven't looked.

ExpatMedic

Forum Probie
Any G-shock watch. I have the G-shock 3031 Mudresist/Mudman watch. I have a few gshocks and it's my favorite. The Gshock line also has a few analog versions with a digital second hand. I like gshocks due to the abuse they can take, along with the fact that you can scrub the heck out of them with bleach water and tooth brushes and never worry about damage. They also fair well to slamming up against objects.

But, ill admit, I rarely, if ever, use my watch to take a pulse. When I palpate, its either 'fast, slow, or just right'. I generally then use pulse oxiemtry and/or a monitor to get an actual pulse.

With that said, it's probably a good idea to learn to take pulses with a watch, especially when you first start out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scout

Para-Noid
As others have said stay cheep. or at least cheapish.

Second hand or big second numerals on digital.
Date is nice
eiher back light or will light up enough so you can get 20sec pluss on the light.
Water resistant, 100-200m so you can scrub and wash it

I know some people like a stop watch if they are running some thing where they need to record intervals.

Most of it is down to preferance thou

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In order to be an entirely effective EMT, and provide the best care to your patients, you need the proper equipment. No partner, ER nurse, or patient will even consider taking you seriously if you don't have a Patek Phillipe’s Supercomplication, first constructed in 1932. It is the perfect compliment for vomit, blood, and frequent soakings with anti-bacterial liquid.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I have an aluminum diving watch. I works great. Not only can I get washed aggressively, it also has a big face because its a diving watch and it is really light because it is aluminum.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Wal-Mart has a Casio that's digital around $20 that has a calculator and is water resistant so you can treat it like crap and keep going. I use it for flight and calculating weight based drug calculations. Plus it's cheap. Love it.

reaper

Working Bum
Casio Forester. $20 at Walmart and last a long time. Plus, has indglo lighting, so it is easy to see at night.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I use this one, but it's much less than $41.00 at Wally World. I'm on my third one right now and I'm not even inclined to look for something else (pretty much the same as the Forester...).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I use a similar Timex Expidition model. They usually come with a leather band, and I replace it with a nylon one for durability and comfort.
My watch style guidelines: Analog face with a second hand, and a date window.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I just use this Casio AQ 150W. Like $30 at walmart and it works great. Has an analog face plus a small digital screen that can display either date, time, sencond time zone, stopwatch, or alarm clock (nice to have on an analog watch!)

My only gripe is that, while having a manual backlight is nice, it doesn't have glowing hands or hour marks.

AQ150W-1EV-L.jpg