List of personal supplies for MCIs

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Those of you in SoCal remember the couple large fires we've had in the last decade or so. Now that I'm working BLS IFT here in San Diego there's a pretty good chance that during the next large event like this, my crews and I will be participating in large scale evacuations of hospitals, SNFs, etc.

The way my company handled these last time is with "strike teams" of four ambulances and a supervisor truck, which all met at the station and then traveled as a group when possible.

I'm working on a list of supplies I want my crews to have on them before they leave the station. This list is not to include the standard supplies that will already be stocked on the rig, but rather comfort/safety items that will help keep the crews alert and as comfortable as possible during the event. I'm building this list on the supposition that the crews will be run 24 hours with eight hours of down time. I'm being very liberal with the work time and very conservative with the down time, just to be safe.

What I have so far:

• Gallon of water - 1 per crew member
  • Snacks, high protein (beef jerky, power bars, etc)
  • Snacks, high carb
  • HEPA masks, 5 extra per crew member
  • Safety glasses- 2 per crew member
  • Hat or head cover, 1
  • Jacket or other cold-weather outer shell
  • Extra box of gloves per crew member
  • Extra pairs of socks, 2 per crew member
  • As much sterile water and NS as we can spread out on every ambulance
  • Extra set of uniforms per crew member
  • Flashlights, 1 per crew member
  • Box of 20 pens per ambulance
  • 4 sharpies per ambulance
  • Get all the hand sanitizer in our station onto the rigs
  • Boot dryer on the Supervisor truck

Anything you would add? Why? Anything you would remove? Why?

Thanks for the help

wandering_idiot

Forum Crew Member
Salt/electrolyte rehydration tabs, DEET, sunblock, headlamps (1 per crewmember) and...

Body Bags- because everyone forgets them.

Last edited by a moderator:

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Maps of the whole state
Blankets