LifePak 12/15 Mount

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
Is anyone currently using a mounting system for the LifePak 12/15 in the back of their ambulances?

We're currently researching different mounting methods in order to properly secure the monitor during transports. Currently, most crews end up placing it on the bench seat, or just hang it on the hook on the back of the Stryker stretcher. This locations are obviously not crash-worthy...

Our SCT units used to use the rack which secured the LifePak on top of the patient's feet, however we were advised that this is NOT considered a crashworthy mount, and have since removed them from the trucks.

Basically we're looking for something ergonomically friendly, and lets the Medic or RN view the monitor from the bench seat.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
We seat belt it in by looping the belt through the handle. Works fine, and I figure a seat belt is considered crash worthy.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm not sure exactly how crashworthy these are, but they have to be more crashworthy than the tables.

patientOVR.jpg

patientDetail.jpg

My understanding is that these were custom made. It's a c-clamp that screws on to the end of the gurney and has a port with a base that the arm goes in and is secured with a pen. The tubular steel comes up and bends forward with a platform for the monitor (which you can always mount a quick release mount to instead of using straps). The black box to the left of the monitor in the second picture is a 3 channel IV pump.

OP
OP
D

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
My understanding is that these were custom made. It's a c-clamp that screws on to the end of the gurney and has a port with a base that the arm goes in and is secured with a pen. The tubular steel comes up and bends forward with a platform for the monitor (which you can always mount a quick release mount to instead of using straps). The black box to the left of the monitor in the second picture is a 3 channel IV pump.

We also have to deal with the State of NJ, and the infinite wisdom from NJ OEMS...

They recently said the stryker stretcher-mounted O2 holders which secure the tank with a pretty hefty Velcro strap are not considered crash-worthy, and will fail a truck on a spot inspection if one is found on the stretcher...

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
We have found Ferno's Pac-Rac works well for holding a monitor (LP12), vent or patient belongings while traveling with the patient outside the truck and securing equipment when transporting. This has velcro straps that ostensibly help secure the equipment, although i'm not sure it's crash worthy.

OP
OP
D

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
Also, we have to contend with the skirts (... I mean, Nurses) complaining about the potential for back injuries from lifting a 20lb monitor over a patient to place it in the mount...

Out SCT rigs have the stretcher placed against the wall, and the interior has cabinets and a small counter in lieu of the traditional "CPR"" seat. The ALS layouts have the traditional center-mounted stretcher and a CPR seat.

I found these mounts, which would offer a few different locations in which to place them:

Post Mount

Wall Mount

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
We use a "parrot pole" mount for our LP15's and previously for our LP12's. I don't know the manufacturer so I'll have to find a photo somewhere to post. The monitor sits there above the stretcher at the Pt.'s shins. The mount is apparently crash-rated though I can't source that.

We also have a tray mount built into the vehicle where it can be secured, but short of bariatric calls (where the pole mount won't work) or long distance transfers I've never used it. It's poorly located so I can't reach the controls while seated and belted. We generally store linen in that spot.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I'm not sure exactly how crashworthy these are, but they have to be more crashworthy than the tables.

patientOVR.jpg

patientDetail.jpg

Does the mount come on and off easily? It looks like it would a pain in the butt on scene for lifts and such.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you needed to take it off, it wouldn't be too hard, especially if the monitor wasn't on it at the time. For scene calls, I would suggest attaching one of the monitor mounts posted earlier to the platform so that it's quicker for attaching and detaching. These were just strapped on using webbing instead of using a commercial mount.

The county I worked in didn't allow the private companies to use paramedics, so this was for our CCT runs, and only put on when we had a nurse involved, so it wasn't used on scene calls. I never had a problem moving patients to or from the gurney at facilities when it was attached, be it a draw sheet or a turn and pivot (no paramedics meant that all patients who needed a monitor was an RN CCT by default).

bigbaldguy

If you needed to take it off, it wouldn't be too hard, especially if the monitor wasn't on it at the time. For scene calls, I would suggest attaching one of the monitor mounts posted earlier to the platform so that it's quicker for attaching and detaching. These were just strapped on using webbing instead of using a commercial mount.

The county I worked in didn't allow the private companies to use paramedics, so this was for our CCT runs, and only put on when we had a nurse involved, so it wasn't used on scene calls. I never had a problem moving patients to or from the gurney at facilities when it was attached, be it a draw sheet or a turn and pivot (no paramedics meant that all patients who needed a monitor was an RN CCT by default).

I was thinking in a two man lift with a guy on a backboard it would be tricky. I can see how for a transport it would be pretty slick though.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Here's a quick schematic that I drew of how the clamp and adapter works.

Clamp attaches over yellow plate on foot end:

1320696936_ergonomicsmx-pro.jpg

Schematic drawn in attachment.

2 quick comments:

1. I'm not sure how this would work with the electric gurneys since there's more weight and equipment at that end.

2. If there's no metal plate (such as the Ferno gurneys, and this same system worked both on Fernos and Strykers), we were told to be careful because it was possible to over tighten the clamp and break the gurney. This is, of course, an issue that is fixed with appropriate training.

Attachments

• IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 443
Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I was thinking in a two man lift with a guy on a backboard it would be tricky. I can see how for a transport it would be pretty slick though.

I was thinking about that too. Probably the best way around it would be with two people at the feet (one on each side of the pole to help keep the weight from being too far from center) or put the head on the gurney and then pivot the feet on.

What's nice about this set up compared to the traditional table is that there's no need to remove the platform/monitor to move the patient onto or off of the gurney. The patient can always be on a monitor, even while transferring the patient.

bigbaldguy

I was thinking about that too. Probably the best way around it would be with two people at the feet (one on each side of the pole to help keep the weight from being too far from center) or put the head on the gurney and then pivot the feet on.

What's nice about this set up compared to the traditional table is that there's no need to remove the platform/monitor to move the patient onto or off of the gurney. The patient can always be on a monitor, even while transferring the patient.

It's definitely a great way of getting monitor up where you can see it. I didn't think about putting em on the gurney then pivoting them over onto it. It will all become irrelevant one day because we will have bionic arms with built in med kits and analyzers. That can't be that far off can it?

JPINFV

Gadfly
I've always been curious how much it would cost to just mount a screen over the rear doors or someplace else and use something like Bluetooth to transmit the image to it. When I become the Lord and Master of EMS, that will be number two on the "Pimp My Ambulance" demands list, right after adding undercarriage Code 3 lights.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Here's a quick schematic that I drew of how the clamp and adapter works.

Clamp attaches over yellow plate on foot end:

1320696936_ergonomicsmx-pro.jpg

Schematic drawn in attachment.

2 quick comments:

1. I'm not sure how this would work with the electric gurneys since there's more weight and equipment at that end.

2. If there's no metal plate (such as the Ferno gurneys, and this same system worked both on Fernos and Strykers), we were told to be careful because it was possible to over tighten the clamp and break the gurney. This is, of course, an issue that is fixed with appropriate training.

Lol you been working on your doctor writing I see, coming along real well by the look of it ;) seriously though Thanks for taking the time to draw it out.

bigbaldguy

I've always been curious how much it would cost to just mount a screen over the rear doors or someplace else and use something like Bluetooth to transmit the image to it.

That's a damn good idea. Then you could blue tooth the info right to the report.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Lol you been working on your doctor writing I see, coming along real well by the look of it ;) seriously though Thanks for taking the time to draw it out.

My handwriting has shown my way to my true destiny!

No problem. It's one of those things that can be hard to describe, but when you see it it makes perfect sense.